Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to deal with a dog

Posted by   + Show Post
We got a small but very strong and hyper dog about 3 years ago. Now I'm pregnant and I can't imagine how I will handle him and the newborn. We are supposed to be moving into a house before the baby comes, but what if we arent able to find one with a fence? I will have to walk the rowdy dog that pulls and jerks and gets tangled up around my legs.I can't do that holding a baby. I can't even take out a bag of trash at the same time because he is so hyper. Help! We don't want to get rid of him, but how do i handle him and the baby?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Replies (11-20):
usmcwifey11
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Obedience classes! ASAP.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
babyspots17
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Please tell me you're not that stupid?! Get it trained would be the logical answer but since that's lost on you then just get rid of it.
MamaTwinkleA
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Maybe take the dog to some training? Our boxer was insanely spazy and jumped all the time. We had to be very firm but we trained her to not jump or bite for any reason. Ds can tackle her and lead her around by her ears or w our se...nips, she just lets him and very calmly at that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Oh.  So you'll have a baby and the dog all by yourself.  Thats rough.  Is there a dog training bootcamp?  Good luck. 

Quoting macysmom:

He does. He just has to pee on everything and if a loud car goes by he runs between my legs. He does fine with my husband, but he will be deployed while I have the baby.

Quoting Anonymous:

Have it trained.  You've had him 3 years, he really should be able to walk on a leash correctly.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Quoting babyspots17:

Please tell me you're not that stupid?! Get it trained would be the logical answer but sense that's lost on you then just get rid of it.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I read the post. You mean to tell me some people DON'T give their dog away because it is now too hard to handle once baby comes?  *example-the post below this one : )

Quoting Anonymous:

And this is what happens when you don't real the whole post.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

And this is what happens when people have a baby. They give their dog away.

MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I wish I could help. We rehomed our Boxer with a friend because I couldn't deal with her hyperness. You could walk her twice a day and take her to dog parks but she was all over the place. She's with an older couple without kids now. They live in the country and let her run around all day! Much better situation for her. ;) I miss her but she is better off. What sealed the deal for us was when she started attempting to bite my 5 yr old. It was my 5 yr old son's fault...he wouldn't quit getting her face and she growled and tried to bite him before I stopped her. I didn't want to risk anything happening to her or my son so the only solution was rehoming. I knew my son would never learn to leave her alone. Anyway, good luck!

pregnancy week by week
macysmom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM
I was thinking of having him kenneled for the first week. my 6 year old is very helpful with walking him, but unless we are in a house by then where I can watch from the door I will have to walk with her. But she also is in school all day.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh.  So you'll have a baby and the dog all by yourself.  Thats rough.  Is there a dog training bootcamp?  Good luck. 

Quoting macysmom:

He does. He just has to pee on everything and if a loud car goes by he runs between my legs. He does fine with my husband, but he will be deployed while I have the baby.

Quoting Anonymous:

Have it trained.  You've had him 3 years, he really should be able to walk on a leash correctly.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM
I'm sure plenty of people do... But that's not what OP is doing.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

I read the post. You mean to tell me some people DON'T give their dog away because it is now too hard to handle once baby comes?

Quoting Anonymous:

And this is what happens when you don't real the whole post.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

And this is what happens when people have a baby. They give their dog away.

LilliesValley
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:36 PM
He needs to let loose on that energy. Most people push a stroller too. You can always add a fence. Have you gone to dog training classes because that sounds like part of it. We have two dogs and a fenced in yard and no crazy hyper dog problems. One is a puppy and yes he acts like a puppy but not crazy hyper. Sounds like it needs some training and more exercise. Finding s house with s fence may be a mandatory kind of thing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured