Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

how to deal with a dog

Posted by   + Show Post
We got a small but very strong and hyper dog about 3 years ago. Now I'm pregnant and I can't imagine how I will handle him and the newborn. We are supposed to be moving into a house before the baby comes, but what if we arent able to find one with a fence? I will have to walk the rowdy dog that pulls and jerks and gets tangled up around my legs.I can't do that holding a baby. I can't even take out a bag of trash at the same time because he is so hyper. Help! We don't want to get rid of him, but how do i handle him and the baby?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:36 PM

IF you are going to criticise someone, be smart enough to do it correctly and use the correct word/spelling

Quoting babyspots17:

Please tell me you're not that stupid?! Get it trained would be the logical answer but since not sense that's lost on you then just get rid of it.

mmccrea
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Give him more exercise.  I recommend a gentle leader or harness and he won't pull so bad.  If you can afford it, take him to a trainer.  It took 2 times to get my dog to be an ANGEL!  Also, obedience classes are a must.  

fairyjester
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I will say  this slow so you understand,  its called t r a i n i n g.

LilliesValley
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM
The dog doesn't respect you and see it as the leader of his pack. You need to take dog training classes with him so you and he can both be trained. Get in some classes today!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh.  So you'll have a baby and the dog all by yourself.  Thats rough.  Is there a dog training bootcamp?  Good luck. 

Quoting macysmom:

He does. He just has to pee on everything and if a loud car goes by he runs between my legs. He does fine with my husband, but he will be deployed while I have the baby.

Quoting Anonymous:

Have it trained.  You've had him 3 years, he really should be able to walk on a leash correctly.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fairyjester
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

And this is what happens when people have a baby. They give their dog away.

no this is what happens when people never bother training their dogs until it becomes a problem

"oh look they ate a baby,  how rude"---  Monroe

DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM

A little bit of training and you'll have a dog that will be a great walker!!

Good luck and congrats on the new baby.

Titana
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Start working with him NOW. When he pulls stop walking. When he calms down walk again. Repeat over and over. I know it's hard and frustrating but keep at it and he will get it with time. Also, find out if there is a kennel near by that does group play and let him get energy out. I have a crazy lovable dog too so I know how u feel. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smurfbitebug
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM
You can go through a real estate company to find the right rental with what you need. If you need a fence, make sure it's listed as a requirement and don't stop looking til you find one. Also, they have invisible fence options that are affordable.. so you can always go that way. They have tie-outs and runners but I don't recommend them. If your dog is half as intelligent as mine is, they won't hold him, and they don't give the freedom to really stretch legs.
Until you find the house, a larger stroller for your child and a Halti collar for your dog will do the trick just fine. A Halti ensures your dog never has control and cannot use his strength against you. Make sure you get a Halti, though. Other brands don't allow their mouth to fully open, which isn't good.
smurfbitebug
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Also wanted to add... teaching your dog to heel on a Halti is a piece of cake. You walk with the dog on your left side, the second he steps ahead of you or attempts to go in a different direction than you, spin on your heel and begin walking briskly in the opposite direction. You will look silly, constantly turning around and around... but he will learn to stay on that left side and keep his eyes on you for your cues. Keep in mind they do have to have bathroom breaks, though. A dog cannot heel 100% of the time and pee on themselves.
gabeybaby07
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I have a big pit who tried that pulling crap with me. I started slapping him on the ass with the leash ever time he pulled me. Only took about 3 months before he learned pulling equals getting slapped with the chain. Never pulled with me again. If he sees another dog, i just say "dont even think about it" he will look for a few then just keep it moving.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)