Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Fart at work? YOU'RE FIRED!

Posted by   + Show Post
The official charge was "Conduct unbecoming a Federal employee." More specifically, "On September 7, 2012, and continuing, you disrupted the work floor by passing gas and releasing an unpleasant odor."
A copy of the letter, along with a picture of the employee at an amusement park standing next to an actor in a Pepe Le Pew costume, was published on TheSmokingGun.com.
The letter included a timestamped log accurate to the minute, documenting 60 separate-gas passing incidents from the employee in his office in three months, or about 9 per day.
The average person passes gas 14 times per day.
Medical conditions such as Crohn's disease, irritable bowel syndrome, and lactose intolerance, can cause sufferers to have chronic gas problems. The employee told management he was lactose intolerant.
"You have submitted medical evidence that you have some medical conditions," the letter read, "however, nothing that you have submitted has indicated that you would have uncontrollable flatulence. It is my belief that you can control this condition."
Several of the employee's coworkers in the "module," or work area, had complained to management about the smell. A supervisor, Deputy Division Director and a Module Manager all spoke with the employee on separate occasions about his need to control his flatulence.
"You said that you would try to pass gas and that you would turn your fan on when it happens," the Module Manager wrote of a discussion that took place on May 18, 2012. "I explained to you that turning on the fan would cause the smell to spread and worsen the air quality in the module."
On August 14th the employee promised to purchase "Gas X" in order to limit his gas output.
Another incident, dated August 15th, noted "you have continued to release the odor and it has become intolerable to work in the module creating a hostile work environment for all your coworkers."
The letter quoted guidelines from the "Annual Personnel Reminder" and "2012 SSA/AFGE National Agreement" which the Module Manager claimed the employee had violated, including "courtesy and consideration while dealing with coworkers" and "refrain from coercive, intimidating, loud or abusive behavior."
If the "misconduct" was continued after the reprimand letter, it could lead to "more severe disciplinary action...including, removal from federal service."

http://lifeinc.today.com/_news/2013/01/11/16465654-flatulent-federal-workers-reprimand-is-rescinded#comments

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Replies (21-30):
jadsmummy
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM
I read about this in another paper. Apparently he was continually verbally harassing his coworkers and purposefully passing gas to harass them then laughing about it.

Quoting catrig:

I'm sure it's not pleasant, but it's not like he's doing it on purpose.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tossed
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:15 PM

My son has had to have multiple digestive system surgeries and has been told that he will struggle with this for the rest of his life. He is very careful about what he eats and carries gas x in his wallet. There are times...whoa. Since this employee provided medical documentation, you would think they would work with him and change his work location.

Quoting NiCo86:

what a stupid situation! He doesn't deserve to even be reprimanded! The letter said he had provided medical reasons for the flatulance, the person who state that regardless of the medical condition HE believed it could still be controlled, is NOT a doctor and can't make the determination.

I wander if there is something a Dr could provide to him to help with his flatulance?

Quoting helema24:

yuh but someone else would complain they are alergic to the spray he chose and then hed be fired for trying to smell spring time fresh.....

Quoting NiCo86:

IDK what to think about this. I feel sorry for that poor guy that was fired, but couldn't they have just gotten some sort of spray? or something??????

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:16 PM
It's hard to avoid products that contain lactose though, even over the counter and prescription drugs contain lactose.

LOTS of foods contain dairy in them, butter is used in lots of things as is cheese and milk.

I am lactose intolerant and those lactose pills don't work and its actually pretty hard to go completely dairy free.

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought if you were lactose intolerant you could just not eat and drink products with that in it and you would be ok,  is that not how it works?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:17 PM
See that changes the entire situation.

Quoting jadsmummy:

I read about this in another paper. Apparently he was continually verbally harassing his coworkers and purposefully passing gas to harass them then laughing about it.

Quoting catrig:

I'm sure it's not pleasant, but it's not like he's doing it on purpose.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM

There is nothing worse than dog farts! It smells so disgustingly abnormal. Lol

Quoting tossed:

TRUE STORY.  When I worked for the employment commission, we had desks in an open area. We were very crowded and our desks were pushed up against each other. The man directly across from me was blind and had a service dog. The dog was very old and had HORRIBLE gas. I was pregnant, so it made the situation even worse and to top it off, I have a super sensitive sense of smell. My kids joke that neighbors 3 doors down could have something bad in their fridge and I would smell it. The poor dog...I hated it when people would sneak him snacks because I knew my day would  be horrible, plus they lived in the country and he would let the dog out and did not bathe him regularly. 

SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM

this screams "lawsuit"

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Thanks,  I really didn't know that,  I wasn't thinking about butter being in a lot of stuff and I didn't realize that some drugs contained it.  We haven't had to experience that so I wasn't educated on it! 

Quoting Roxygurl:

It's hard to avoid products that contain lactose though, even over the counter and prescription drugs contain lactose.

LOTS of foods contain dairy in them, butter is used in lots of things as is cheese and milk.

I am lactose intolerant and those lactose pills don't work and its actually pretty hard to go completely dairy free.

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought if you were lactose intolerant you could just not eat and drink products with that in it and you would be ok,  is that not how it works?

tossed
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:20 PM

And, when you are pregnant...sickening!

Quoting Anonymous:

There is nothing worse than dog farts! It smells so disgustingly abnormal. Lol

Quoting tossed:

TRUE STORY.  When I worked for the employment commission, we had desks in an open area. We were very crowded and our desks were pushed up against each other. The man directly across from me was blind and had a service dog. The dog was very old and had HORRIBLE gas. I was pregnant, so it made the situation even worse and to top it off, I have a super sensitive sense of smell. My kids joke that neighbors 3 doors down could have something bad in their fridge and I would smell it. The poor dog...I hated it when people would sneak him snacks because I knew my day would  be horrible, plus they lived in the country and he would let the dog out and did not bathe him regularly. 

helema24
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:20 PM

yes it can be proven medically that flatulance is a side effect of the condition. also many lactose in tolerant individuals are also egg product sensative! my sil is loctose intolerant and sensative to anything with eggs... when shes had either ud better not block the bathroom unless you want a green cloud!

Quoting NiCo86:

what a stupid situation! He doesn't deserve to even be reprimanded! The letter said he had provided medical reasons for the flatulance, the person who state that regardless of the medical condition HE believed it could still be controlled, is NOT a doctor and can't make the determination.

I wander if there is something a Dr could provide to him to help with his flatulance?

Quoting helema24:

yuh but someone else would complain they are alergic to the spray he chose and then hed be fired for trying to smell spring time fresh.....

Quoting NiCo86:

IDK what to think about this. I feel sorry for that poor guy that was fired, but couldn't they have just gotten some sort of spray? or something??????

power bitch slap internetMuslim Cat prays towards Mecca. LoL by: wirgylovesamletoandshayaprofessor cat. replySPOCK'S MILKSHAKE[]

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM
For some people like me even things like yogurt are a no no.

I actually had no clue birth control pills and other meds contained lactose until I stumbled on a website one time that said that, I didn't believe it so I pulled out that insert that comes with the bc pills and lo and behold I found lactose listed as an ingredient.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks,  I really didn't know that,  I wasn't thinking about butter being in a lot of stuff and I didn't realize that some drugs contained it.  We haven't had to experience that so I wasn't educated on it! 

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)