Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Fart at work? YOU'RE FIRED!

Posted by   + Show Post
The official charge was "Conduct unbecoming a Federal employee." More specifically, "On September 7, 2012, and continuing, you disrupted the work floor by passing gas and releasing an unpleasant odor."
A copy of the letter, along with a picture of the employee at an amusement park standing next to an actor in a Pepe Le Pew costume, was published on TheSmokingGun.com.
The letter included a timestamped log accurate to the minute, documenting 60 separate-gas passing incidents from the employee in his office in three months, or about 9 per day.
The average person passes gas 14 times per day.
Medical conditions such as Crohn's disease, irritable bowel syndrome, and lactose intolerance, can cause sufferers to have chronic gas problems. The employee told management he was lactose intolerant.
"You have submitted medical evidence that you have some medical conditions," the letter read, "however, nothing that you have submitted has indicated that you would have uncontrollable flatulence. It is my belief that you can control this condition."
Several of the employee's coworkers in the "module," or work area, had complained to management about the smell. A supervisor, Deputy Division Director and a Module Manager all spoke with the employee on separate occasions about his need to control his flatulence.
"You said that you would try to pass gas and that you would turn your fan on when it happens," the Module Manager wrote of a discussion that took place on May 18, 2012. "I explained to you that turning on the fan would cause the smell to spread and worsen the air quality in the module."
On August 14th the employee promised to purchase "Gas X" in order to limit his gas output.
Another incident, dated August 15th, noted "you have continued to release the odor and it has become intolerable to work in the module creating a hostile work environment for all your coworkers."
The letter quoted guidelines from the "Annual Personnel Reminder" and "2012 SSA/AFGE National Agreement" which the Module Manager claimed the employee had violated, including "courtesy and consideration while dealing with coworkers" and "refrain from coercive, intimidating, loud or abusive behavior."
If the "misconduct" was continued after the reprimand letter, it could lead to "more severe disciplinary action...including, removal from federal service."

http://lifeinc.today.com/_news/2013/01/11/16465654-flatulent-federal-workers-reprimand-is-rescinded#comments

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Replies (31-36):
jadsmummy
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM
The whole situation is unfortunate.

Quoting Roxygurl:

See that changes the entire situation.

Quoting jadsmummy:

I read about this in another paper. Apparently he was continually verbally harassing his coworkers and purposefully passing gas to harass them then laughing about it.

Quoting catrig:

I'm sure it's not pleasant, but it's not like he's doing it on purpose.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NiCo86
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM

you would think!!!!!

Quoting tossed:

My son has had to have multiple digestive system surgeries and has been told that he will struggle with this for the rest of his life. He is very careful about what he eats and carries gas x in his wallet. There are times...whoa. Since this employee provided medical documentation, you would think they would work with him and change his work location.

Quoting NiCo86:

what a stupid situation! He doesn't deserve to even be reprimanded! The letter said he had provided medical reasons for the flatulance, the person who state that regardless of the medical condition HE believed it could still be controlled, is NOT a doctor and can't make the determination.

I wander if there is something a Dr could provide to him to help with his flatulance?

Quoting helema24:

yuh but someone else would complain they are alergic to the spray he chose and then hed be fired for trying to smell spring time fresh.....

Quoting NiCo86:

IDK what to think about this. I feel sorry for that poor guy that was fired, but couldn't they have just gotten some sort of spray? or something??????

randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Man, now I'm tempted to eat a shit ton of cabbage and go invade the post office.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM

LMAO! This can't be real.

tyner_brylee
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:26 PM
I have crohns and i am pregnant on top of that. I pass gas more than 14 times a day. Lol. And no i am not ashamed to admit it either.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I know a lot of people are going to find this hilarious, but honestly my heart hurts for the poor employee this happened to. I have Irritable Bowel Syndrom and I have a terrible, uncontrollable gas problem. I am a hairdresser, (when I'm not a sahm), and it has been a real problem for me. I try to go somewhere no one will notice when I have to pass gas, but it's not always possible, or sometimes I go somewhere that doesn't have other people and suddenly someone else will just happen to need to be right in that area just after it's happened. It's truly humiliating.

My boss at a place I worked at before spoke to me about it, which was embarrassing enough, but as if that weren't enough, she then brought it up in front of EVERYONE in the meeting. I was so humiliated, and I was crying and trying to explain to them that I'd been doing everything I could think of to control it. I tried taking exessive amounts of Gas X, I tried taking Bean O with every single meal, I've tried the Bean O and the Gas X together, I tried once eating absolutely nothing all day but chicken broth, I tried eating nothing but rice, I tried eating nothing but chicken broth or rice, AND the Bean O, AND the Gas X, nothing worked. Incidentally, the problem was all but gone when I was pregnant, but obviously I'm not going to be pregnant all the time. Just in the course of writing this I've passed gas at least twice.

As the article said, the average person passes gas 15 times a day, (the article said 14, but I've heard it's 15. I don't know where this idea came from that a person can just hold it in. Maybe other people can, but I can't. If it needs to come out, it comes out. I wish people would be more understanding about it, after all, like I said, everyone does it, and it isn't an intentional thing. My boss tried telling me it was disrespectful to my co workers, but believe me, if I could have avoided doing it, I WOULD!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)