Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is there a trick to spreading frosting?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Every time I frost a cake, the top comes off and it looks like crap. Is there a trick to frosting a cake? I know stupid question. Lol.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Lol!!!!

Quoting laranadtony:

Yeah, you let your mom or your mother in law do it.

mommyof2andTTC
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Let it cool! Take it out of the pan and cool it on a plate... It spreads wierd if you dont let it cool

Mommy of 2 girls & TTC #3 twin girls & baby dust

rebeccab1966
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Use an offset spatula, and ice the sides of the cake first, finish with the top.  And make sure the icing isn't too thick.

ksueditz
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Ok, maybe you can help w/ my problem then. When I make a layer cake, it seems like the top layer is too heavy. It starts to split, in 2-3 pieces. Looks like a cake-slide! I try to 'glue' it w/ frosting but it just looks messy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
babygirlsmom314
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

When I frost a cake, I will do a thin layer first and let it sit over night in the fridge.  Then the next morning I will frost it with more frosting. 

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Tips for Frosting a Cake

Trim the tops of cakes to create an even surface. To keep your cake stand neat while frosting the cake, tuck strips of parchment paper underneath the cake after you've placed it on the stand and before you begin frosting. Carefully remove the strips before serving the cake. Spread a thin layer of frosting on the cake to seal in crumbs (called "crumb coating"). Chill for about 30 minutes before applying the final coat of frosting. This will help keep crumbs from working their way into the layer of frosting. An offset spatula works best when frosting a cake. To keep a tall cake from sliding while you work, insert a bamboo skewer through the center.

http://www.marthastewart.com/268441/cooking-school-how-to-frost-a-cake

ripemango
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM

youtube vids

curlycupcake
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Pastry chefs allow the cake to cool completely then they cut the top of the cake off to ensure its level. They dust the crumbs with a pastry brush, the using a metal spatula they first frost the sides then the top, adding layers of frosting at a time, rather than putting a big glomp and smearing it around.
Hope that helps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Iamlegion

the trick is to never spread where a crumb pulls up or it will keep pulling up. Just dab a piece of frosting there.

Spoon the frosting on first. Spread with a plastic knife if you have one- also dipping the knife in water between strokes helps.

Good luck

jesistar6910

Put the cake in the fridge so it sets a little firmer and then frost.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)