Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is there a trick to spreading frosting?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Every time I frost a cake, the top comes off and it looks like crap. Is there a trick to frosting a cake? I know stupid question. Lol.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Replies (21-30):
ksueditz
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Haha! My mom was a cake decorator at a grocery store. So she makes all birthday cakes.

Quoting laranadtony:

Yeah, you let your mom or your mother in law do it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lalaboosh
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I like to take a ziplock, fill it with frosting, and snip the tip of a corner off so I get a big bead of frosting from it. Then I make lines of frosting on my cake that are so close they touch, then a light swirl on the top of the frosting to blur the lines. I don't even try the smooth frosting look! Lol! You could try freezing or refridgerating your cake to make it more solid when you frost it.

lovemyairman150
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM
For me, I just started frosting in smaller sections instead of trying to spread a lot across the entire thing. Its worked better for me now that i do it that way. Also, like the other women said, make sure it's completely cool.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's pretty much what I do. Lol.

Quoting lovemyairman150:

Maybe the the way you're spreading it. I've had that issue before too and thats what I was doing wrong. Are you just flopping it on at one end and trying to spread it across the entire cake like butter on toast?

MommyOfOne2710
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM
My mom used to let it cool for hours. Otherwise the top will rip off.
shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM

hand fr0st. use ur bare hand....results bel0w

CjEmmemommy
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Let it cool, crumb coat a light layer and en put it in the fridge to harden before another layer of frosting.
deputygirls28
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM
I put a giant blob in the center and slowly with an icing spatula spread it out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcm28
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Yes frost a thin layer on then put it in the fridge for an hour. frost it again with a lot of frosting this time. Take off what you don't need.

captaincw322
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Through the frosting in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it up a TINY bit. My MIL makes fabulous cakes, and taught my DH how.  Thats their secret, either that, or if your making the frosting from scratch, make sure it is room temp.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Thanks Everyone!!!! I have it in the fridge now. I will do exactly what you all said!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)