Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is there a trick to spreading frosting?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Every time I frost a cake, the top comes off and it looks like crap. Is there a trick to frosting a cake? I know stupid question. Lol.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Replies (31-40):
ImNotKarl
by Also Not Paul on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Spread a thin amount over the entire cake from the center outward and then down the sides. Chill it, and then do a second layer, again, spreading from the center. That's the big trick.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's pretty much what I do. Lol.

Quoting lovemyairman150:

Maybe the the way you're spreading it. I've had that issue before too and thats what I was doing wrong. Are you just flopping it on at one end and trying to spread it across the entire cake like butter on toast?

My tummy had the rumblies that only hands could satisfy.
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM
I freeze my cakes first.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyKir
by Kay on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Try piping it out first(put it in a ziplock bag and cut the corner) and then spreading it... dont just glob it on and try to even it across the whole cake. Make sure the frosting is room temp. and try softening it by using your mixer with it. and that your cake is completely cool. Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM

The frosting may be too thick. There are lots of you tube videos on how to frost a cake. I do better when I see an example of what I want to learn. I also use an offset spatula and get it really hot which helps to spread the fat in the frosting. 

sampson200
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:24 PM

You need:

100% cooled cake

Keep the frosting in the fridge for a bit to thicken up

Use a wide, flat metal blade to spread.

blue_elephant
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Let the cake cool for 2 hours and microwave the frosting for 15-30 seconds
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:27 PM
either your cake is too warm or your frosting is too cold. let the cake cool completely and let your frosting come to room temp
Keara20
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:27 PM
My friend is a cake decorator at Safeway and she says its easier to frost when the cake is frozen.
mich.el.le
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Quoting NBean311:

Let it cool completely before frosting. I whip my frosting with a hand mixer to soften it before using, it also makes it light and fluffy. Make sure frosting is at room temp, or even a little warmer. Not so warm that it melts, but warm enough to be pliable. I spread a very thin crumb layer, freeze it to harden, then apply the layer of frosting that will be the outside. 

Hope that helps! 

Yep!

CountryLayne
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Put your icing in the center of the cake, and use your spatula or knife to slowly push it out toward the edges of the cake. Push- don't pull. If you pull, it will rip up your cake each time. And don't lift up your knife from the cake- it also pulls off the cake. Spread the icing out to the edge of the cake and run your knife off the cake. AND-- make sure it is soft enough to spread- about the softness of tub margarine or canned frosting (if using homemade).

**Knowledge from a semi-pro cake decorator. Trust me- I learned the hard way how to do it right.  ;-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)