Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is there a trick to spreading frosting?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Every time I frost a cake, the top comes off and it looks like crap. Is there a trick to frosting a cake? I know stupid question. Lol.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Replies (41-43):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Thank you!!

Quoting ImNotKarl:

Spread a thin amount over the entire cake from the center outward and then down the sides. Chill it, and then do a second layer, again, spreading from the center. That's the big trick.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's pretty much what I do. Lol.

Quoting lovemyairman150:

Maybe the the way you're spreading it. I've had that issue before too and thats what I was doing wrong. Are you just flopping it on at one end and trying to spread it across the entire cake like butter on toast?

ImNotKarl
by Also Not Paul on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Mmhmm. And don't worry about stupid questions, especially when it comes to baking. Sometimes what may seem easy for someone, may be really hard for someone else. I can make pastries from scratch, and almost any candy you can think of, but I STILL can't get fudge right. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, I've tried a billion different things. I just need to find someone who's got it figured out and have them show me. Freaking fudge. Something my great grandmother could make over a campfire. Can't get it to work for me. lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you!!

Quoting ImNotKarl:

Spread a thin amount over the entire cake from the center outward and then down the sides. Chill it, and then do a second layer, again, spreading from the center. That's the big trick.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's pretty much what I do. Lol.

Quoting lovemyairman150:

Maybe the the way you're spreading it. I've had that issue before too and thats what I was doing wrong. Are you just flopping it on at one end and trying to spread it across the entire cake like butter on toast?

My tummy had the rumblies that only hands could satisfy.
chane_L
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:08 PM

you can even put the cake in the freezer for about an hour before frosting it 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN