Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

For Women with 2 or More Children and did NOT have an epi

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:11 PM
  • 41 Replies

I am 22 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child. 

My first 2 were delivered vaginally and I had an epi with both. This time around I REALLY want to go natural. I had my previous children also in a military hospital on bases. THEY WERE HORRIBLE. I was restricted to the bed and to laying on my back which I know was because of the epi, but I felt like I almost had NO say in how my delivery went. 

This child is going to be delivered in a civilian hospital where I hope things will go more my way. My question is, did any of your deliveries after the 1st seem easier, harder, or about the same and why......

Thanks!

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommajenn4684
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:13 PM
I went all natural with both. It all depends on the person to be honest. Go in there with the thought of all natural but if things change don't feel like you cant have the epi. With my second it did seem to be easier though. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
steph_hailee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM
I went all natural with both pregnancies. My daughter I was in labor for 23 hours. It was a pain.

With my son, I had to have pitocin because my water broke and I didn't have any contractions for almost 24hours. That was my worst. I actually asked for an epidural, but they didn't get to me before I had to push. I can say it hurt more than labor with my dd.
I was in labor with my son for 5hrs.

I say just keep breathing through the pain. Try not too focus on the contractions. I moved a lot and different portions helped a little.
balagan_imma
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I had an epi with my first and really did not enjoy the experience. It was the on-call ob from the practice, not "mine." He was pretty much a bully.

For my second I went to the hospital and was already 8 cm. She was born about 3 hours after we got there. I was able to labor how I was comfortable - standing, walking, on a birthing ball.

My 3rd was the quickest of them all. I was only 3 cm when I got to the hospital. I was a little dehydrated so the first hour I was on IV fluids. I went to 6 cm. The second hour I stood around with DH and a friend who was studying to be a midwife. I laughed a lot. I went from 6 cm to baby in that hour. He came really quickly and was bruised from head to toe. DH still comments on how he remembers them getting me to the bed, the midwife came running in, threw her coat across the room and then caught our son.

The 2nd and 3rd were completely drug free.

just_hc
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:18 PM

My second was much easier than my first.  I was in labor for 19 hours with my first.  My second came in 3 hours.  

unusualmom
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM
My 1st 2 went fine. No problems. No epi. My daughter - oh wow. Now she hurt and she hurt bad. I couldnt breathe the contractions were so strong and hard and it felt like she had her feet on my ribs and shoving as hard as she could to get out. Still no epi and the delivery went well. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM

The second delivery was easier on me but it was rougher on the baby (cord around the neck).

kamrynlily07
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:22 PM
I went all natural with my second, but not by choice (precipitous labor - 1.5 hrs from first contraction to delivery). It hurt (of course) but the recovery was much easier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dawnjohnson5
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:24 PM
My first 4 were all natural. They all hurt about the same, but labor was faster with each one.
Dee0886
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:40 PM

What made you decide to do them all natural? Obviously you knew the pain involved but did it anyway lol. My mom keeps telling me that oh hell yeah it's painful, but its tolerable. I have had a kidney stone every year since I was 16 and she also compares it to that. 

Having the epi was scary bc with my second child, her heartrate began to drop, I needed oxygen, and they gave me pitocin pretty much without asking..they basically told me this is how it's gonna go. Giving birth should be one of the most amazing moments of my life but my previous deliveries were so cold and impersonal..really hoping to have a better experience this time around lol.

Quoting dawnjohnson5:

My first 4 were all natural. They all hurt about the same, but labor was faster with each one.

Dee0886
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Wow, 3 hours from start to finish or three hours of pushing?

Quoting just_hc:

My second was much easier than my first.  I was in labor for 19 hours with my first.  My second came in 3 hours.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)