Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

For Women with 2 or More Children and did NOT have an epi

Posted by   + Show Post

I am 22 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child. 

My first 2 were delivered vaginally and I had an epi with both. This time around I REALLY want to go natural. I had my previous children also in a military hospital on bases. THEY WERE HORRIBLE. I was restricted to the bed and to laying on my back which I know was because of the epi, but I felt like I almost had NO say in how my delivery went. 

This child is going to be delivered in a civilian hospital where I hope things will go more my way. My question is, did any of your deliveries after the 1st seem easier, harder, or about the same and why......

Thanks!

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
Amy_M
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I was no epi with both of my kids' births.  The second was worse than the first contraction-wise, but it was also much shorter.  If I have a 3rd baby i will do it the same way.  It wasn't bad enough to scare me of labor

dawnjohnson5
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:43 PM
I was scared of the epi. Lol

The labor pain was tolerable, it was right before pushing that it became bad.

I liked being able to deliver and just get out of bed.

The 5th was born via emergency c section.

Quoting Dee0886:

What made you decide to do them all natural? Obviously you knew the pain involved but did it anyway lol. My mom keeps telling me that oh hell yeah it's painful, but its tolerable. I have had a kidney stone every year since I was 16 and she also compares it to that. 

Having the epi was scary bc with my second child, her heartrate began to drop, I needed oxygen, and they gave me pitocin pretty much without asking..they basically told me this is how it's gonna go. Giving birth should be one of the most amazing moments of my life but my previous deliveries were so cold and impersonal..really hoping to have a better experience this time around lol.

Quoting dawnjohnson5:

My first 4 were all natural. They all hurt about the same, but labor was faster with each one.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CrimsonRadiance
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM
I had natural births with all three of mine. Each labor and delivery was faster then the previous. And I really never pushed with any of them... My body automatically did it for, me.. LOL!

If you are afraid, it can be worse... Your best bet is to learn all you can, so you are more prepared and comfortable.

Congrats and good luck!!
Motherof3inNJ
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I delivered my 3rd without an epi because it was like one of those tv births, I felt contractions and 5 min later out comes the baby. I delivered in an ambulance and yes it was almost pain free, much easier than my 1st 2 which lasted hours.

supermama322
by Kaylee on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM
All 3 were in the hospital, no IV and no pain relief of any kind. All 3 were wonderful experiences and very fast. I was focused on breathing and concentrating on one thing through contractions helped. (except with #3, no time!)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ninjakids
by Christina on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:46 PM
I had delotta & morphine with both my deliveries. My first i pushed for an hour and fourty minutes..my second i pushed for 15 minutes. First i had just front labour...second i had back labour

My second seemed easier because I knew what to expect. When going without an epi just remember...yeah its going to hurt but using distractions...and breathe! Breathing deep during my contractions helped alot (especially when you think of it as a wave..)
Dee0886
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I don't even remember feeling the epi with my first, it was amazing...but with my 2nd it took that man 3 tried to get it right and the 2nd try he hit a nerve that made my right leg feel like it was on fire.....that's also another reason I'm leaning more towards natural lol

Quoting dawnjohnson5:

I was scared of the epi. Lol

The labor pain was tolerable, it was right before pushing that it became bad.

I liked being able to deliver and just get out of bed.

The 5th was born via emergency c section.

Quoting Dee0886:

What made you decide to do them all natural? Obviously you knew the pain involved but did it anyway lol. My mom keeps telling me that oh hell yeah it's painful, but its tolerable. I have had a kidney stone every year since I was 16 and she also compares it to that. 

Having the epi was scary bc with my second child, her heartrate began to drop, I needed oxygen, and they gave me pitocin pretty much without asking..they basically told me this is how it's gonna go. Giving birth should be one of the most amazing moments of my life but my previous deliveries were so cold and impersonal..really hoping to have a better experience this time around lol.

Quoting dawnjohnson5:

My first 4 were all natural. They all hurt about the same, but labor was faster with each one.

MommySwiggles
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:47 PM

the recovery is a million times easier!  I had my first with an epi and 2nd and 3rd without.  I was able to walk, squat (I was going to labor in the tub a while and bounce on the birthing ball but he came too quickly for that) and I delivered on my hands and knees because that is what was most comfortable. 

I also had a midwife.  She was awesome and I definitely reccommend one =)

Kmary
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Both of my deliveries were natural and fast.  But my second was faster and far easier than my first despite him being a full 2 pounds bigger than my first.   You can most likely do it if you want to.  Your body was made to do it.  Good luck!

Abby.N.Amys.Mom
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:48 PM

My two labors were total opposites of each other.  My first took 14 hours and 2 hours of pushing.  I had an epi but I know I could have done it naturally because she was positioned correctly. 

My second I had back labor and she was posterior.  She came within 16 minutes and was a natural delivery.  I never want to feel pain like that ever again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)