Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Question about taxes.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
Is it hard to file from home? Pretty much how does it work and what papers do you have to send in? I've never done if before and I don't want to spend 400$ doing it at H&R block this year.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittany208
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:26 PM

depends how complicated your tax situation is. if you just have a job and nothing else, its super easy. we have jobs, daycare expenses, a house, school payments, and a few other things and its still not that hard with turbo tax online.

Christywf
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Turbo tax is awesome, it's software you can buy to do it at home.  Highly suggest it.

oboe_chik
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:28 PM
turbo tax...you shouldnt have to send ne paperwork in unless it tells you to. Just e file but keep your paperwork unless you get audited.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:28 PM
I have a job husband does not and I have 2 kids. I also babysit on the side and that brings me in about 800$ a month. All I have is signed receipts of me being paid tho...and that's pretty much it.

Quoting brittany208:

depends how complicated your tax situation is. if you just have a job and nothing else, its super easy. we have jobs, daycare expenses, a house, school payments, and a few other things and its still not that hard with turbo tax online.

hershey6
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:28 PM
We do turbo tax also- not too hard
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
calvinsmommy18
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Ive never done it before but Im doing it this year, I'm using either Turbotax or FreeTaxUSA. If your taxes are pretty straightforward it shouldnt be too difficult. All they do at H&R is just plug your numbers into a program anyways for most peoples returns

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Turbo tax. EASY.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
monkeyrhea
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I file my own online every year through HR Block and spend maybe $30. The only thing I have to send in is my state taxes because they don't have an e-file option. Although, that works out because we always owe the stupid state anyway so I wait and mail the state in after I get my federal refund :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Go to turbotax.com or taxact.com, freetaxusa.com

most are free to efile federal. If you have to file state tax as well you usually have to pay 9.95 or so.

its fast and easy. Step by step instructions. And you choose direct deposit or check. You can also print a copy for your records (free) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:31 PM
I'm just scared ill screw it up. I usually get a decent return but this year I didn't work long at all and I made most of my income from babysitting. Isn't that considered "self employed"?

Quoting KairisMama:

Turbo tax. EASY.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)