Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you a pageant or dance mom?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Do you put your kids in beauty pageants or competitive dance? Why? Do your kids like it?

My mom forced me into both and I hate her for it. She would dress me up in costumes and take me to restaurants and force me to dance in between the tables. I couldn't even have fun in dance because she was also causing problems...telling the teachers all the time that they needed to give me bigger parts and telling the kids that I was better than them. No one wanted to be my friend.

I know if there are moms who put their kids in these programs they will say that they don't force them and their kids just looooove it. But how do you think your kids will really remember it?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
Not_A_Native
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:26 PM

2 of my 3 girls are/were in competitive dance.  One is now 22, and stopped when she graduated, the other is 18, a senior in high school, and still doing it.  They had the choice (my other daughter stopped when she tried out for cheerleader, and later became a lieutenant on the squad).  They choose to do this - it takes a good 25 hours or so a week.

I would have NEVER interfered in the dynamics of the studio, nor would I have ever forced them to dance in non-dance situations (restaurants, family gatherings).

WesternNYmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:27 PM

DD dances, but she isn't in competative dance. The studio she take classes at has a recital at the end of the dance season in May.  All the girls wear costumes based on their dance numbers, and they perform routines to showcase what they learned throughout the year.  The owner of the studio is a mother of a young girl, and always makes sure that the costumes are age appropriate.  I have never seen any of the girls, even the college aged ones dressed in anything provocative.

TheMrs407
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:28 PM
I did competitive dance and loved every second of it! I never witnessed any parent act like you (or TV) portray them.
If DD wanted to do dance I'd let her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
debbie26
by Debbie on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I tried the dance with my DD she wasn't into so its Taekwondo for us.......

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I cheered my whole life. I never felt pressured. I plan on having my daughter do it too. Btw, I live right down the road from where dance moms is filmed...those women truly are CRAZY lol, I would never send my daughter there. We actually have studios that are more reputable in the area, I have no idea how they chose that one!

melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:31 PM

My daughter was in ice skating.  I did not want her doing competitions but she begged me enough.  She has been off the ice for 6 months due to having brain surgery, she bugs her Dr at every appointment to give her the OK to get back on the ice.  Seeing how she has been the past six months not being allowed to be on the ice makes me realize how much she truly loves it.  It was never forced on her, she was always told if she wanted to quit she had to finish out the session that was paid for then she could be done.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Hell, no. My daughters chose to do the things they liked. One daughter played softball and tennis on the high school teams. My other daughter was on the tennis team. She gave dance a try for one year , performed in a recital and then lost interest.

I think the Pageant and Dance moms are usually found in the south.

melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I am starting to think that show is scripted

Quoting Anonymous:

I cheered my whole life. I never felt pressured. I plan on having my daughter do it too. Btw, I live right down the road from where dance moms is filmed...those women truly are CRAZY lol, I would never send my daughter there. We actually have studios that are more reputable in the area, I have no idea how they chose that one!

gonecrazi
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:37 PM

We let our ds (10) play baseball this past summer. He swore he wanted to play. Have way through the season he didn't want to play any more. We made him finish the season. But he has decided he doesn't like baseball. We'll never make him play again.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Quoting melakay1981:

I am starting to think that show is scripted

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh yea! And the women who are on it don't mind one bit. They walk around with the biggest diva attitudes ever! One mom actually had to choose between her career and the show-she chose the show! You know, because it will be around forever and stuff lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured