Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Was This Too Harsh?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:32 PM
  • 4 Replies

DS1 will be 5 years old in March.

A few months back, I let him play on the Wii.  It started because I was sick and it kept him occupied and moving at least a little bit.

But every time he played, he'd have an accident.  EVERY TIME.  I tried setting a timer and telling him he had to take potty breaks (I know, he was on it too long in a day, but it was all I had when I was sick like that!), but he'd run and pee and then ultimately poop his pants.

So, I took his Wii privelleges away.  After a month, long enough for me to recover, I let him play for 30 minutes to an hour at a time here and there as a treat.

Today, I am not well.  I have Shingles, DH's Grandpa was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in multiple locations, I have to go out of state to testify to a board about my rape case from 6 years ago, DH is remodeling the house, and I just gave up.  I told him he could play, then got busy making phone calls, trying to work out what to do about DH's Grandpa because we don't know how long he has left and I want DH to make it out there should things go bad fast.  We are out of state, but DH and him are very close.  I'm trying to work out how to go see him at the drop of a hat, pacing around the house trying to tidy up as DH throws stuff around, and fielding calls about my own personal stuff.

About two hours later, DS1 pooped his pants!  He snuck into the bathroom to try and clean it up and made a HUGE mess!

It was a total Mommy fail.  But, at almost 5 years old, he's been potty trained for years.  He KNOWS he has to go!

I yelled.  I choked on my words to not say the wrong thing, but I yelled.  I threw away his clothes because he was outgrowing them anyways and I just don't have it in me to stain treat it all.

I made him take a shower, but he loves showers.  I guess the water was lukewarm, not hot like he likes it.  DS complained it wasn't hot enough and I told him he was in there to clean up, not play and enjoy a nice shower.

After the shower I was still so upset, I just sent him to his room.  I told him he was NOT playing his Wii game for a VERY long time.

Now he's complaining he wants dinner.  I had told him I'd get him chicken and fries for dinner earlier in the day, but after cleaning my bathroom it is late and I gave him a bowl of oatmeal instead.  He complained AGAIN.  And I told him that because I had to spend so long cleaning the bathroom, I wasn't going to get him chicken and fries.  Chicken and fries are a TREAT.

My family is saying I am being too harsh.  But my emotional reserves are depleted.  I'm done, shot, over with for the night.  I have nothing left to give at the moment.  I think I'm doing DS a favor by keeping him in his room because I have officially lost my cool.  I really almost swore at him when it happened!

I can't deal with this all in a day.  Grandpa is so sick, my house is a dusty mess and I can't clean it until DH is done remodling the basement.  I mean, I can dust, but I can't remove the clutter.  My personal stuff is on EVERYONE'S back burner but it has me so stressed I can't even eat.  I want to put it behind me, but the military keeps wanting to evaluate me and go over details!  It's been 6 years!  They failed at their job back then, I wish they'd just leave me alone now.  I can't even find a quiet spot to meditate with all the banging and noise from the guy's working in the basement.

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Do you have anyone that can watch your children for a few hours? It's sounding like you simply need a break.

brittany208
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:36 PM

i dont think so. sounds like he was being whiney. i was much worse of a mommy to my LO today... he was really getting on my nerves too.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Unfortunately, not for a while.  I have a friend willing to help next weekend, though.  So...just have to hang in there until then.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you have anyone that can watch your children for a few hours? It's sounding like you simply need a break.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Good thoughts for ya mama! You can do it!

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Unfortunately, not for a while.  I have a friend willing to help next weekend, though.  So...just have to hang in there until then.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)