Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

serious question. Please Help!

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:47 PM
  • 19 Replies
Dh just left me on saturday for another girl that he works with. Ive been staying an hour away at mil's house. Do we have to actually be divorced so i can get emergency custody or some sort of custody agreement in place?
Hes trying to say me being here is illegal and i know it isnt because we are still married.

What do i do?

**Forgot to add. We are three months pregnant and live in tx. Ive heard its illegal to divorce while pregnant. Im just really confused on what to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
samanthastaatss
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Illegal? What's illegal? You being at your MIL's?

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Why would it be illegal to stay at his moms house? Hell I could stay at his moms  if she'd let me. No, you do not have to be divorced first. Contact an attorney to get the ball rolling.

StoneColdKiller
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:49 PM
No you don't need to be divorce to file and until there is a custody agreement in place your doing anything illegal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
2ltlmonkeyz
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I have no clue , GL :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:50 PM
You should be able to file for temp custody right now. Then custody will be established during the divorce. It would do you a lot of good to talk to a lawyer though. You will need to go to the county for which you will be filing for divorce.. I believe!
sophiesister2
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Are you in american with a visa? is that why hes saying its illegal?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom_dl6
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Not sure,But i'd def. be finding out on mon. or via the internet.  I'm sorry your going through this,Just focus on your child and hopefully that will distract you a for awhile from the hurt. Good luck Momma hugs

Imjustinsmommy
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Hi Hun.. I think it's fine to stay with your mil but as far as keeping him from her or custody he is still your hub and soidk how to do that. Contact an attorney fast to find out and save everything he texts and says and so on.. I'm here for u :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Its not illegal for you to stay, but because you are married he can come get the kids when he wants. It depends on your state what the process is for divorce/custody. Generally you can do it all in one step. Its a ton of paperwork and in Fl costs about $350 in filing fees upfront to start. if you have a reason to file for emergency custody you will probably need to file for a restraining order first.

You should consult an attorney. Most will do a free consult. See what the process is and where you stand with everything.
skittlebeans88
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Lol no. Completely legal. Hes just mad i didnt stay in the same city.

The thing is, we live in texas and we are three months pregnant. Ive been hearing you cant divorce while pregnant.

Quoting sophiesister2:

Are you in american with a visa? is that why hes saying its illegal?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)