Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you really DISABLED?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So what do you consider acceptable disorder or illness in order to qualify for disability? I ask bc for years I denied the fact that I was ill. I kept saying I can get an job and keep it and when I ended up in the hospital for it bc my health issues got bad. I finally realized I couldn't do it anymore. Today I got my first help applying for disability and I sometiems feel like I don't deserve help thanks to my ex h's words. And yet I know working is physically impossible at this time and admitting that really hurt. But you can only live in denial for so long. (Title is to get you to read this)
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Replies (101-107):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, I am in the same boat. I hate that I have to get help to dress and can't do normal, every day things. After I woke up from my last surgery, I heard the doctor tell the recovery room nurses to not be surprised or worried that they would not be able to control my pain because with my issues, he explained it was not possible. I hate depending on drugs. Good luck. I really do understand.

Quoting Aena:

I feel so bad for you, I know what you are going through. Sometimes if I overdo it, I will also be in bed for days. I can be walking and my legs can just give out and I will fall, doesn't happen a lot but it does happen and it scares me that it may happen when I am not home.

Mine is so bad, when I have to go to the ER because I literally just lay in bed and cry, and cannot move the lower half of my body, they look my record up (all my tests were ran or sent to the same hospital), ask me if I am having the same symptoms, then tell me the only thing they can do is give me a pain shot. That is all they can do, and I hate it. I hate the fact that I cannot do my own damn dishes. 

m0mmyheather
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:18 PM
ADHD is considered a disability, and I have it. I don't feel disabled by it though.
I also have fibromyalgia and it DOES disable me at times. But it doesn't always effect me to that point. Sometimes I can function like everyone else and sometimes it's so hard that I can't. I don't get disability for either.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lizardannie1966
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I was born with my disability. I was born without a hip joint in my left leg. Once this was discovered, the missing joint was replaced by pelvic bones.

I am going to be 47 in August and I suffer daily from muscle/skeletal aches and pains. I use a cane, even in the house, now.

A second opinion visit with a second orthopedic surgeon this past summer did not net the results we wanted to hear--I can get the surgery to replace the entire hip, but I will be less mobile than I am now and I'll still have to use the cane.

The other option is steroid shots to help the pain so that maybe I can walk easier.

I have been turned down 3 times from SSA and I understand why. They have shitty rules but I get it. I have not worked in over ten years (partially by choice and partially due to my disability) and thus, cannot receive SSA. My previous work experience is scanty and scattered and there really isn't anything there to give. Lovely and a VERY stupid move on MY end.

We make too much for me to receive SSI. For our family size (the two adult children do not factor in)--myself, DH and youngest daughter--we have to gross $1,000 a month or less.

We take in far more than that.

Truth is, we're doing OK without me receiving disability, but I am definitely disabled. I cannot stand/walk/sit for long periods of time. It has been affecting my right leg as well along with my lower back and left side.

What can I do? Pretty much nothing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM
I get SSI for asthma .
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:16 PM

That's just what our attorney told us and they said because of his age (he's 36) it would be extremely hard for them to approve him, and said if he was 55 then he would be an easy in. I don't know anything about SSI / SSDI. I 'm just happy that his other disability is paying him 35% of what he used to make. About $2300/month :)

Quoting faeriemom1972:

I'm 40 and the amount I get in ssdi is based on my previous income.

Quoting Anonymous:

SSI and SSDI are a joke... My dh has been trying to get "approved" for over 2 years now, now we are on the year and a half wait list for a hearing. They consider him not disabled because he could technically be a wal-mart greeter, they only consider your previous income if you are over 55, otherwise you have to take a crap pay job. Sorry but we can't live on a $8.80/hour job when he was making $30/hour. Total crap. He can't do anything normal that he used to do. No mowing the lawn, dishes, laundry, he lost his job because he was hurt on the job and never recovered. Thank god we paid for extended long term disability through his work, he has been approved for that disability until he's 65. That's a very long time considering he's only 36.

I'm gald that you are getting the help you need and I pray that you are approved with much less of a hassle then it has been for my DH

faeriemom1972
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Ah. Well, apparently the fact that I'm on supplemental oxygen is an "easy in" if you are under 55, lol. I'd rather have working lungs but like you, I'm grateful for what I get. It alleviates some of the stress.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's just what our attorney told us and they said because of his age (he's 36) it would be extremely hard for them to approve him, and said if he was 55 then he would be an easy in. I don't know anything about SSI / SSDI. I 'm just happy that his other disability is paying him 35% of what he used to make. About $2300/month :)

Quoting faeriemom1972:

I'm 40 and the amount I get in ssdi is based on my previous income.

Quoting Anonymous:

SSI and SSDI are a joke... My dh has been trying to get "approved" for over 2 years now, now we are on the year and a half wait list for a hearing. They consider him not disabled because he could technically be a wal-mart greeter, they only consider your previous income if you are over 55, otherwise you have to take a crap pay job. Sorry but we can't live on a $8.80/hour job when he was making $30/hour. Total crap. He can't do anything normal that he used to do. No mowing the lawn, dishes, laundry, he lost his job because he was hurt on the job and never recovered. Thank god we paid for extended long term disability through his work, he has been approved for that disability until he's 65. That's a very long time considering he's only 36.

I'm gald that you are getting the help you need and I pray that you are approved with much less of a hassle then it has been for my DH

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:34 PM

autism, mr. my daughter will always require someone be with her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)