Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you really DISABLED?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So what do you consider acceptable disorder or illness in order to qualify for disability? I ask bc for years I denied the fact that I was ill. I kept saying I can get an job and keep it and when I ended up in the hospital for it bc my health issues got bad. I finally realized I couldn't do it anymore. Today I got my first help applying for disability and I sometiems feel like I don't deserve help thanks to my ex h's words. And yet I know working is physically impossible at this time and admitting that really hurt. But you can only live in denial for so long. (Title is to get you to read this)
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM
I have bipolar and get ssi
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM
My mom got fired from her job because of a disability. She was denied for ssi, but she's reapplying.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Yeah I didn't till it became you either admit or you die.

Quoting Tatiana7:

Sometimes the most humble of people have the hardest time admitting to needing help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Most get denied first time. My friend who has it told me this. Hope she gets it this time!

Quoting Anonymous:

My mom got fired from her job because of a disability. She was denied for ssi, but she's reapplying.

ElizabethGracie
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I qualify for disability because I'm severely hearing impaired but I don't draw it...my aunt,however,completely abuses the system and she collects disability because she has trouble opening things with her right hand *rolls eyes*

Actually,I think she's on SSI because she hasn't worked enough over the years to pay enough into the system to qualify for disability...she's 35 and hasn't worked since her early twenties...

"Live as if you have faith and faith will be given to you."

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:34 PM
What was your breaking point for you to get on it?

Quoting Anonymous:

I have bipolar and get ssi

kelly617
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

If your disability makes you unable to get and/or hold a job..then its a disability to you :)
You shouldn't feel bad for drawing on SSI....if a doctor has found that your disability is within the criteria that makes you eligible....then its rightfully your money

calvinsmommy18
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM

if you need it and qualify for it than IMO thats fine, its the ones who dont need it and get it anyways that suck

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Well if you dont need it i can understand that.Why cant she use her right hand?

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

I qualify for disability because I'm severely hearing impaired but I don't draw it...my aunt,however,completely abuses the system and she collects disability because she has trouble opening things with her right hand *rolls eyes*

Actually,I think she's on SSI because she hasn't worked enough over the years to pay enough into the system to qualify for disability...she's 35 and hasn't worked since her early twenties...

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM
So true

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

if you need it and qualify for it than IMO thats fine, its the ones who dont need it and get it anyways that suck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)