Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you really DISABLED?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So what do you consider acceptable disorder or illness in order to qualify for disability? I ask bc for years I denied the fact that I was ill. I kept saying I can get an job and keep it and when I ended up in the hospital for it bc my health issues got bad. I finally realized I couldn't do it anymore. Today I got my first help applying for disability and I sometiems feel like I don't deserve help thanks to my ex h's words. And yet I know working is physically impossible at this time and admitting that really hurt. But you can only live in denial for so long. (Title is to get you to read this)
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Replies (61-70):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Yeah I know what you mean. My sister is like that. She abuses the system. She can work but wont and has no health problems just fakes them. She finally got it taken away though after a few years they found out.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think if you can walk, and aren't in unbearable pain, or serious mental health issues, You can at least do something, even if its from home. I grew up with my mom who has been trying to get on disability for YEARS! She is NOT sick, and she is a very capable human being, she is just really lazy, and wants everyone to do everything for her. I know shes not sick, but she plays the sick card all the time. Like when she realized she wasn't going to get money from me anymore, because I wanted to move out of her house, she kicked my ass...a disabled person, would not be able to do that, and it only made me really see that she is not fucking sick.

There are people out there that are abusing disability, or trying to, and it pisses me off, because there are some people that really can't work, and people like my mother, who fake it just to abuse it, are making them look bad.

BEXi
by BEXi on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe physical and mental pain/distress is enough to qualify.

Money Hungry Mommy Blog

StoneColdKiller
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:51 PM
In 30 years I've only worked 6 months earning 4 work credits and I need 6 credits to get disability cause they don't see my inability to work harming my family cause I've never worked. So they take my husbands income into account. I've tried everything all I wanted was the medical so it could cover all the company's my health insurance doesn't cover and I can see a therapist regularly. Same reason I couldn't get my son on ssi he has autism and ADHD and medical copays are very costly every month but the income they say meets everything. However we pay $400 in medical premiums and the $25 per appoitment and my son has anywhere from 1-3 appointments a week then his medication every month but its a $20 copay for a $135 bottle so that's the cheapest item.

I suffer with bipolar (attached PTSD, OCD, high aniexty). I can't handle a job sadly. I volunteer at my sons school a lot cause I'm not bossed around and if I get overwhelmed I can go home after the task. Now if I could find a job like that lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree with you. Why cant you get disability?

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

I can't work but I also can't get disability. Oh well. I think anything that makes working impossible should be a disability enough for SSI.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:53 PM

SSI and SSDI are a joke... My dh has been trying to get "approved" for over 2 years now, now we are on the year and a half wait list for a hearing. They consider him not disabled because he could technically be a wal-mart greeter, they only consider your previous income if you are over 55, otherwise you have to take a crap pay job. Sorry but we can't live on a $8.80/hour job when he was making $30/hour. Total crap. He can't do anything normal that he used to do. No mowing the lawn, dishes, laundry, he lost his job because he was hurt on the job and never recovered. Thank god we paid for extended long term disability through his work, he has been approved for that disability until he's 65. That's a very long time considering he's only 36.

I'm gald that you are getting the help you need and I pray that you are approved with much less of a hassle then it has been for my DH

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Wow I'm so sorry. . Sounds like disability system is a lot unfair to people like you who need it. :( I wish I could help. How often does your insurance let you see a therapist? Insurance companies sick most of the time. ::(

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

In 30 years I've only worked 6 months earning 4 work credits and I need 6 credits to get disability cause they don't see my inability to work harming my family cause I've never worked. So they take my husbands income into account. I've tried everything all I wanted was the medical so it could cover all the company's my health insurance doesn't cover and I can see a therapist regularly. Same reason I couldn't get my son on ssi he has autism and ADHD and medical copays are very costly every month but the income they say meets everything. However we pay $400 in medical premiums and the $25 per appoitment and my son has anywhere from 1-3 appointments a week then his medication every month but its a $20 copay for a $135 bottle so that's the cheapest item.

I suffer with bipolar (attached PTSD, OCD, high aniexty). I can't handle a job sadly. I volunteer at my sons school a lot cause I'm not bossed around and if I get overwhelmed I can go home after the task. Now if I could find a job like that lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree with you. Why cant you get disability?

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

I can't work but I also can't get disability. Oh well. I think anything that makes working impossible should be a disability enough for SSI.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:55 PM
I'm in no way trying to get bashed, I used to get SSI I used to have seizures all the time around 15 they quit. But I have kidney disease, heart defect, and many other "minor" problems. I have held jobs before for more then 3 months. 3 months seems to be the longest I can handle a job. Mostly because of how demanding they can be, I've done mostly retail. Anyways I even tried school parttime and that didn't end well either. I fought with my mom for years that I didn't need to go back on it, but now I'm just stuck. If I get a job i'm to exhausted to care for my child, if I go to school I'm too busy with everything else going on that my classes fail. So I just don't know what to do, to please my mother I applied for social security and everyone has asked me why I don't get it but I just don't want it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Wow I have heard worries like this but man it hits my heart everytime. :/ That is a load of bull. I don't understand why my sister got it for years and she isn't sick and your dh cant. I'm sorry

Quoting Anonymous:

SSI and SSDI are a joke... My dh has been trying to get "approved" for over 2 years now, now we are on the year and a half wait list for a hearing. They consider him not disabled because he could technically be a wal-mart greeter, they only consider your previous income if you are over 55, otherwise you have to take a crap pay job. Sorry but we can't live on a $8.80/hour job when he was making $30/hour. Total crap. He can't do anything normal that he used to do. No mowing the lawn, dishes, laundry, he lost his job because he was hurt on the job and never recovered. Thank god we paid for extended long term disability through his work, he has been approved for that disability until he's 65. That's a very long time considering he's only 36.

I'm gald that you are getting the help you need and I pray that you are approved with much less of a hassle then it has been for my DH

kit_manson
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:57 PM
I can't walk sometimes, i hurt everywhere, and i get frequent seizures, among other symptoms. I'm in the prices of applying for disability.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Why don't you want it?

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm in no way trying to get bashed, I used to get SSDI I used to have seizures all the time around 15 they quit. But I have kidney disease, heart defect, and many other "minor" problems. I have held jobs before for more then 3 months. 3 months seems to be the longest I can handle a job. Mostly because of how demanding they can be, I've done mostly retail. Anyways I even tried school parttime and that didn't end well either. I fought with my mom for years that I didn't need to go back on it, but now I'm just stuck. If I get a job i'm to exhausted to care for my child, if I go to school I'm too busy with everything else going on that my classes fail. So I just don't know what to do, to please my mother I applied for social security and everyone has asked me why I don't get it but I just don't want it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Good luck. !!! Hope you get it.

Quoting kit_manson:

I can't walk sometimes, i hurt everywhere, and i get frequent seizures, among other symptoms. I'm in the prices of applying for disability.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN