Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you really DISABLED?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So what do you consider acceptable disorder or illness in order to qualify for disability? I ask bc for years I denied the fact that I was ill. I kept saying I can get an job and keep it and when I ended up in the hospital for it bc my health issues got bad. I finally realized I couldn't do it anymore. Today I got my first help applying for disability and I sometiems feel like I don't deserve help thanks to my ex h's words. And yet I know working is physically impossible at this time and admitting that really hurt. But you can only live in denial for so long. (Title is to get you to read this)
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Replies (81-90):
faeriemom1972
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM

My dr had to tell me I'd never work again. I'd been on supplemental oxygen for 2 years before I finally came to terms with the fact that I will always be on supplemental oxygen. My ssdi claim was approved in 3 months. No denial.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I have bipolar and get ssi

so is my dh, but he has held down a job for over 20 yrs and makes in the six figures.  I never thought mental illness was an excuse.  I suffer from severe depression as well, working makes me feel better.  When I am home, I am not good

faeriemom1972
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:00 AM

I'm 40 and the amount I get in ssdi is based on my previous income.

Quoting Anonymous:

SSI and SSDI are a joke... My dh has been trying to get "approved" for over 2 years now, now we are on the year and a half wait list for a hearing. They consider him not disabled because he could technically be a wal-mart greeter, they only consider your previous income if you are over 55, otherwise you have to take a crap pay job. Sorry but we can't live on a $8.80/hour job when he was making $30/hour. Total crap. He can't do anything normal that he used to do. No mowing the lawn, dishes, laundry, he lost his job because he was hurt on the job and never recovered. Thank god we paid for extended long term disability through his work, he has been approved for that disability until he's 65. That's a very long time considering he's only 36.

I'm gald that you are getting the help you need and I pray that you are approved with much less of a hassle then it has been for my DH

thetrollcat
by Meow on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:01 AM

In all truths I dont consider illness or disorders DISABILITY and that isnt what the actual term ment to be for

starmoonlight
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM
My mother has bi-polar and she works just fine. My sister is bipolar and she is one of the hardest workers. They don't need SSI. I hate when people cry about not getting SSI when they have bipolar disorder. It's just an excuse..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Lawyers make no difference. If it were to be approved, it would be approved with or without one. 

Quoting Anonymous:

If you hire a lawyer they make sure it is filed properly. In most cases with a lawyer it gets approved the first time . ( of course if there is a real disability )  My DH was approved the first time .

You don't have to pay the lawyer out of pocket. They simply take their amount from your check(s)  

Quoting Anonymous:

Most get denied first time. My friend who has it told me this. Hope she gets it this time!

Quoting Anonymous:

My mom got fired from her job because of a disability. She was denied for ssi, but she's reapplying.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I'm bipolar, have an anxiety disorder, PTSD, and various medical conditions including arthritis, carpal tunnel, and severe back injuries. I work. Every single day.

Quoting starmoonlight:

My mother has bi-polar and she works just fine. My sister is bipolar and she is one of the hardest workers. They don't need SSI. I hate when people cry about not getting SSI when they have bipolar disorder. It's just an excuse..

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:36 AM
My lawyer and dr says I am! Im awaiting my hearing date.

I have severe thoracolumbar scoliosis(which causes numbing in my legs, hands and arms. My legs and hands feel like they are on fire at times, headaches, chest pains, etc), degenerative disc disease, herniated discs, fibro, ptsd, depression, anxiety, bile reflux, acid reflux, ibs and bladder problems. Bladder probs just started recently after back surgery #1 I couldnt pee.. come to find out my bladder is damaged and ill eventually have to start self cathetering to pee :/ Im also worse than before surgery. Surgeon says its prolly nerve damage. Says if i refuse to proceed with the suggested next 2 surgeries ill be either bed ridden or in a wheelchair.

I think my age.. im 30! has something to do with being denied. After the first time I got a lawyer. All my drs agree I should qualify and are baffled that it was denied twice. My lawyer says a lot of ppl are applying bc of the economy making it hard to get it.
starmoonlight
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I think I love you! My mom has a lot of that except for the PTSD. Her back pain is from her weight though but she still goes in everyday.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm bipolar, have an anxiety disorder, PTSD, and various medical conditions including arthritis, carpal tunnel, and severe back injuries. I work. Every single day.

Quoting starmoonlight:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Yes, I really am disabled.  I lost my hearing completely due to illness when I was 12 years old.  It came back slowly over the course of a few months but was never quite right.  There is also a strong family history of hearing loss in my family.  I was a nurse and worked for over 20 years, but my hearing got progressively worse.  I worked as long as I could knowing that someday I would no longer be able to.  I stopped working when my child was born, and applied for ssd the following year.  I was approved immediately, meaning no denials and appeals, and have been collecting ssd for about 5 years now.  If you were to look at me, no I don't *look* disabled.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)