Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

EEKKK finally getting 1/4 a cow.

Posted by   + Show Post

DH and I have talked off and on for quite some time about buying 1/2 for 1/4th a cow. 

Well the oppertuity just hit us. Step FILs boss has one ready to butcher, hes taking half and asked fil if he wanted the other. fil knows we wanted some so they are taking 1/4 and we are taking 1/4. They are butchering the 1st and letting it hang for 21days before cutting. Our 1/4 should cost about $600 and about 300lbs. We get to pick what ever cuts we want and we have our own meat grinder to make burgers and such!!

Anyone else ever done this??

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
emtmomtwo
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM

no we havent but sounds like a great deal!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM
We do it yearly. We split with the in laws so we don't end up with just the back end or the front end. For $600 for a quarter you shouldn't be cutting your own meat. We pay $1200 for the half and they cut and weigh it all
1plustwinsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM
I've done it before. My sister and her dh raised cattle and occasionally we'd buy when they butchered. Organic feed, knew the history, etc. I liked the peace of mind plus it was really reasonable. They no longer raise cattle so I've lost my source.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Diatech12
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:12 PM

oh no they are cutting it too!

Quoting Anonymous:

We do it yearly. We split with the in laws so we don't end up with just the back end or the front end. For $600 for a quarter you shouldn't be cutting your own meat. We pay $1200 for the half and they cut and weigh it all

Diatech12
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Yeah the guy was telling us how he orders speical feed for it that has like spices in it and stuff lol.

Quoting 1plustwinsmommy:

I've done it before. My sister and her dh raised cattle and occasionally we'd buy when they butchered. Organic feed, knew the history, etc. I liked the peace of mind plus it was really reasonable. They no longer raise cattle so I've lost my source.

Diatech12
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Oh I wish we could! We just dont have land for that. I raised a steer for 4H once though....it was terrible.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

nahh, we just kill them ourselves. Lol. 

Mommie2Kailen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM

we havent done it with a cow but we get a pig in february.. I love freshly killed farm raised no additive added meat

Jessica_Esqueda
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM

My in laws have a free rent place on the edge of the dairy farm where my FIL works. Once a year they get two or three cows to butcher, free of charge. FIL usually gets half a cow, plus the head. 

Quoting Diatech12:

Oh I wish we could! We just dont have land for that. I raised a steer for 4H once though....it was terrible.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

nahh, we just kill them ourselves. Lol. 

For delicious allergy-friendly recipes, follow my blog, Cooking With Food Allergies! 

Diatech12
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Pig is our next purchase and we are going to be raising our own chickens!!  BIL is raising one right now for ffa so we will know when sale is and will help a kid out.

Quoting krickette:

yep it sure beats store bought. we also raised our own pigs and steer, chickens it made a big differance

krickette
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM

If you eat deer meat you can check with the places that process it and sometimes they have extra that people dont pick up

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)