Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

at last the economy has hit us...help! :(

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So my dhs awesome new job just layed off pretty much anyone thats been there less then a year.

:(

Were already behind on bills from me being on bedrest/maternity leave

I already called my work and told them to if theres any call ins to call me first.

Dh and i both are going to the plasma clinic in the morning

Weve started craigslisting things.

Were calling in the morning to cancel netflix and internet...after one last night of movie marathons

Then spending the weeking applying everywhere

We can use any and all tips on supplementing income

Also i have an account set up that automaticly takes 200$ a month out of my pay check into a savings account i cant touch and they give me s check for the balance. Would it be wiser to continue this account or stop it so we have the extra 200$ each month

Called to Cancel home internet and netflix today. They shut it off in a couple days they talked me into finishing off the billing cycle. My dd is going to be pissed but she needs to seriously cut down on the screen time anyway.

Any ideas for indoor winter activities?

I calculated it out and between dh and i we spend about 150$ a month on soda! Thats crazy! Time start liking water. Or finding cheaper pop
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Replies (31-40):
cutebaby06
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Cool!!!!!! We're neighbors, I live in Austin, which is,oh I'd say an hour and  a half or so form you, it's where Spam is made, lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

Twin cities

Quoting cutebaby06:

Sorry OP, OT for just a sec, I live in MN, may I ask what part?

Quoting Anonymous:

MN

Quoting Mashnut3161:

what state do you live in?

CBMMOM
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I'd change the $200 a month savings to $50 a month. I wouldn't cancel internet. It's not just a luxury. It can be extremely useful in his job search.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM
His parents live close so hes just gonna go to his moms house and use theirs that way she can watch the kids while he job hunts while im at work

Quoting CBMMOM:

I'd change the $200 a month savings to $50 a month. I wouldn't cancel internet. It's not just a luxury. It can be extremely useful in his job search.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:40 AM

The economy is catching up to us too.  My husband has had a small business all his life and the last couple years have been really hard on it.  This winter, we did some of those same things.  We lowered our cable package, cancelled Netflix, got a cheaper phone package and cancelled our trash pickup.  Now we're burning a lot of it and what we can't, we have hauled away, but it's a lot cheaper than having it picked up every week.  We took the insurance off of one of our vehicles, my husband's work truck, and parked it for the winter.  We also had some investments a couple years ago.  We stopped the automatic withdrawal every month and, eventually, we had to cash them in to help us and the company.  We also, for the first time ever, applied for a food card because by the time we paid our bills every month, there was no money left for groceries.  I really hated to do it, and hopefully we won't need it for long, but it has helped a lot.  The income ceiling has really raised for that help.  They also, because our income right now is so low, helped me pay an electric bill.  Like I said, I hated to turn to them for help, it's a pride thing, but we've never asked them before and we'll only stay on it as long as we need to.

prieta05
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Not to mention too pop gives u rocks. I tell that to DH and he tells Me then hes gonna sell them lol. Anyways good luck and yes drink water because its healthier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsErdos2011
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:51 AM

$150 on soda!?  Holy cow!!! That's 100 2 liters of soda a month!! That 52 GALLONS of soda a month! 624 gallons a year!

I may not be a perfect wife or mother but I am perfect in the eyes of my son and my husband and that is all that matters.

evelynolivesmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't stop the $200.00. My grandparents had a similar account set up when they were first married. No matter what they faced they did not touch it or stop the deposits. And I'm talking WWII and the depression and 60 other years of life. They are doing very well today, obvioulsly they worked throughout their lives and contributed to their retirement that way, but they could have retired 20 yrs early and quite well on that savings alone.

It sucks living hand to mouth, a pp said welcome to my life, it's been 4 yrs. (something like that) I know, I'm in year two and it slowly gets better. Keep the savings for the kids, emergencies and for the real future, not the future in 1-2 years.

GreenAndLean
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM
In the same boat, we are selling what we can right now to get by. Hopefully soon we will have unemployment kick in.

We might sell my van as well and go back to one car as much as that sucks.

I am a couponer so luckily I had about a month or so worth of food and we have only had to get milk and juice at the store.

It sucks but somehow we are making it work good luck to you guys
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Thats 2 20 oz a day each

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

$150 on soda!?  Holy cow!!! That's 100 2 liters of soda a month!! That 52 GALLONS of soda a month! 624 gallons a year!

MrsErdos2011
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:04 AM

No way. You'd have to be paying $3 a bottle for it to add up. Pepsi is roughly the same price all over the country. My husband is a trucker and used to buy 4 1 liters a day and it didn't come anywhere close to 150 a month.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thats 2 20 oz a day each

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

I may not be a perfect wife or mother but I am perfect in the eyes of my son and my husband and that is all that matters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)