Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

at last the economy has hit us...help! :(

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So my dhs awesome new job just layed off pretty much anyone thats been there less then a year.

:(

Were already behind on bills from me being on bedrest/maternity leave

I already called my work and told them to if theres any call ins to call me first.

Dh and i both are going to the plasma clinic in the morning

Weve started craigslisting things.

Were calling in the morning to cancel netflix and internet...after one last night of movie marathons

Then spending the weeking applying everywhere

We can use any and all tips on supplementing income

Also i have an account set up that automaticly takes 200$ a month out of my pay check into a savings account i cant touch and they give me s check for the balance. Would it be wiser to continue this account or stop it so we have the extra 200$ each month

Called to Cancel home internet and netflix today. They shut it off in a couple days they talked me into finishing off the billing cycle. My dd is going to be pissed but she needs to seriously cut down on the screen time anyway.

Any ideas for indoor winter activities?

I calculated it out and between dh and i we spend about 150$ a month on soda! Thats crazy! Time start liking water. Or finding cheaper pop
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM
150$ a month is 5$ a day thats 2.50 a person our gas station has 20 oz sodas on sale 2 for 2.50

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

No way. You'd have to be paying $3 a bottle for it to add up. Pepsi is roughly the same price all over the country. My husband is a trucker and used to buy 4 1 liters a day and it didn't come anywhere close to 150 a month.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thats 2 20 oz a day each

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

$150 on soda!?  Holy cow!!! That's 100 2 liters of soda a month!! That 52 GALLONS of soda a month! 624 gallons a year!

MrsErdos2011
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM

It'd be cheaper to buy 2 liters. You're still drinking 18 gallons of soda a month. 

Quoting Anonymous:

150$ a month is 5$ a day thats 2.50 a person our gas station has 20 oz sodas on sale 2 for 2.50

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

No way. You'd have to be paying $3 a bottle for it to add up. Pepsi is roughly the same price all over the country. My husband is a trucker and used to buy 4 1 liters a day and it didn't come anywhere close to 150 a month.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thats 2 20 oz a day each

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

$150 on soda!?  Holy cow!!! That's 100 2 liters of soda a month!! That 52 GALLONS of soda a month! 624 gallons a year!

I may not be a perfect wife or mother but I am perfect in the eyes of my son and my husband and that is all that matters.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Yeah our plan is to save and wash the 20oz bottles and start buying generic 2liters to refil them for work til we can wean off it

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

It'd be cheaper to buy 2 liters. You're still drinking 18 gallons of soda a month. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

Quoting Anonymous:

Thats 2 20 oz a day each

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:48 AM

You paid 250 for Verizon?  We have 6 phones on our plan, 3 have unlimited data and we pay less than that.

Quoting BazingaMama:

Exactly! It's surprising how far you can stretch a little bit of money when you really need to!  There's always Food Stamps and WIC to help with food and Medicaid for insurance.  Prepaid phones are cheaper than contracts.  We have Boost and we pay $80 for me and my husband compared to the $250 I was paying for with Verizon.  Also, if you have Medicaid or Food Stamps I think they will send you an application to get a free phone with a certain amount of free minutes.  Coupons help stretch money...they work best when you only need to buy one of something and you need that item.  Coupons.com and Couponsuzy.com are good sites to print off of.  We leave the heat off during the day to help save on our bill (we live in Georgia so it doesn't get too cold here during the day, lol).  And definitely try a bunch of different temp agencies too.  They don't pay much but it's at least something coming in! That's all I can think of off the top of my head to help you guys save money.  I hope this helped a little.

Quoting Anonymous:

Dude i total forgot about tax refund!
We dont get much back but hey anything helps right

Quoting BazingaMama:

I would definitely stop the $200 until you guys are more financially secure. Have you guys tried temp agencies? We went through and are still going through a similar experience since September. My husband was let go and has been working temp jobs since. It's at a much lower amount (about 1/3 of what he was making before) but they keep him busy. I've become very frugal because of this and we're making it work but barely. Also, taxes are coming up so hopefully you guys will get some back and that can help you with bills. I'm sending positive vibes your way for things to work out!

MrsErdos2011
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM

My husband just quit drinking soda and he quit cold turkey. He was drinking 3-5 bottles a day. In addition to have more energy he's dropped 10 pounds in the last 2 weeks. If you can deal with the headaches and moodiness for about a week that's what I would suggest, if you drink caffeinated

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah our plan is to save and wash the 20oz bottles and start buying generic 2liters to refil them for work til we can wean off it

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

Quoting Anonymous:

Thats 2 20 oz a day each

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

I may not be a perfect wife or mother but I am perfect in the eyes of my son and my husband and that is all that matters.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Cool:) Thats south right?

Quoting cutebaby06:

Cool!!!!!! We're neighbors, I live in Austin, which is,oh I'd say an hour and  a half or so form you, it's where Spam is made, lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

Twin cities

Quoting cutebaby06:

Sorry OP, OT for just a sec, I live in MN, may I ask what part?

Quoting Anonymous:

MN

Quoting Mashnut3161:

what state do you live in?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Good for you for trying so hard to get it manageable. Short term if you need help I would go for assisant but I wouldn't make a lifestyle of it and I would certainly stop doing the $200.00 deposit until you can get back on your feet.

Sounds like you are doing what you need to to get by that's what matters.

cutebaby06
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Yes it is!!!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Cool:) Thats south right?

Quoting cutebaby06:

Cool!!!!!! We're neighbors, I live in Austin, which is,oh I'd say an hour and  a half or so form you, it's where Spam is made, lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

Twin cities

Quoting cutebaby06:

Sorry OP, OT for just a sec, I live in MN, may I ask what part?

Quoting Anonymous:

MN

Quoting Mashnut3161:

funmommy123
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:02 PM
I'm sorry momma. I know it's stressful, but it will get better. We had to cancel our cable, internet/homephone a couple months ago when dh's job cut his hours. His job ended up giving him his hours back, but it was stressful, trying to make ends meet. Cancel what you can and know that you will eventually get them all back. Good luck :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I am in MN too (NW suburb of twin cities).  We're looking for a dog-sitter for three days next weekend if that's something you're interested in?

Quoting Anonymous:

MN

Quoting Mashnut3161:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)