Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

at last the economy has hit us...help! :(

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So my dhs awesome new job just layed off pretty much anyone thats been there less then a year.

:(

Were already behind on bills from me being on bedrest/maternity leave

I already called my work and told them to if theres any call ins to call me first.

Dh and i both are going to the plasma clinic in the morning

Weve started craigslisting things.

Were calling in the morning to cancel netflix and internet...after one last night of movie marathons

Then spending the weeking applying everywhere

We can use any and all tips on supplementing income

Also i have an account set up that automaticly takes 200$ a month out of my pay check into a savings account i cant touch and they give me s check for the balance. Would it be wiser to continue this account or stop it so we have the extra 200$ each month

Called to Cancel home internet and netflix today. They shut it off in a couple days they talked me into finishing off the billing cycle. My dd is going to be pissed but she needs to seriously cut down on the screen time anyway.

Any ideas for indoor winter activities?

I calculated it out and between dh and i we spend about 150$ a month on soda! Thats crazy! Time start liking water. Or finding cheaper pop
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Replies (61-62):
xomrs.chase
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Budget.
Make a meal plan
Cut out the soda
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ANSLUASI
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Take the extra $200. You can only save when the savings is extra money, right now you need the cash. Make sure that savings is really untouchable. If you only need to pay a penalty to be able to use it, then go for it. Better to pay the penalty and have cash than to wreck your credit.

You can borrow movies for free at the library so you won't be totally deprived:) We haven't had Netflix in 4 years and we watch tons of movies that we got for free from the library.

Start shopping at Aldis or SaveALot or similar stores. Make meal plans. You are much more likely to stick to a grocery budget if you aren't running out every day or so for impluse meals. If you don't know how already, get a basic cookbook and learn how to make basic dinners from scratch. Way, way cheaper than prefab.

Don't eat out at all, don't get coffee out either. Folgers is $7 a tub at Walmart and you can make a ton of cups from it versus paying through the nose at Tim Hortons and the like.

Ditching the Internet might not be the best plan, especially if he needs it for job hunting. We don't have cell phones, but I do have a landline phone/longdistance/internet bundle that only costs me $60 a month. Way cheaper than most cell phone plans, and you'd be surprised how easy it is to ditch having a cell.

Learn where the thrift stores are in your area and start visiting them. There are two in my regular shopping area and I go every time I do major grocery shopping. A lot of what they sell is stuff I would never buy, but by going often, I have an increased chance of finding something that is a real steal. DD and I both have wardrobes full of name brand goodies for this reason and no one would ever know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)