Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

have you ever lied about a pets death?

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:25 AM
  • 11 Replies

I told my ds when he was 3 his little pet mouse ran away to the mouse circus, the cat ate her. 

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SOCO101
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:27 AM

We haven't had to cross that bridge yet. DD's 2, about a month ago our basset hound got ran over and we didn't know if he was going to be ok or not. DD seemed upset and kept asking about him. We just kept telling her Rusty was sick, and he needed to be left alone. Luckily, he made it.

Pink.Frosting
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Once.  It was that stupid fish that simply would not die.  We had it for years and it was the bain of my existence.  I am not a fish mom. (Some old lady was actually giving out live goldfish for Halloween!  I mean...seriously of all the horrid things to do!) But he lived and lived and just wouldn't stop living.  Finally he got sick and started to die but I swear he was drawing the process out for literally weeks longer than it needed to be.  In the end I couldn't take it anymore and my kids were upset at watching his slow and obviously painful demise.  So I woke up before them, fished him out of the tank and plopped him into the empty Coca Cola pitcher.  He was staring at me.  I nearly puked.  I grabbed a kitchen towel and covered the pitcher and ran out of the kitchen and hid for the next fifteen minutes. He was blessedly dead when I was brave enough to lift the towel and peek in.  I put him back in the tank for the kids to find when they got up.  They're none the wiser.

horseap
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:44 AM

Um yes.  I work 3rd shift and hubby was out of town and our neighbor knew this. I was going to stay at my grams for a night while he was gone.  Hubby told this to the neighbor and said IF she leaves can I call you to take care of the dogs.  He said yes.  The day after DH left one of our dogs got loose.  They called the sherriff and the dog warden.  Said we had left a few weeks ago, they didnt have food or water and no one was caring for them.  So they traquilized Bella the loose dog and left to get a court order to remove our other dog, ALL WHILE I WAS 20 FEET AWAY IN OUR BEDROOM SLEEPING!  They took our other dogs and left a note on the door.  No one called us or knocked because "They were going by what the neighbor said".  They put our dog that got loose to sleep because she was a pit bull.  I lied and told the kids that they would only give us Bentley back if we let them find a new home for Bella that had a fence so she couldnt get loose again.  =(   

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:56 AM
Yes and I wish I didn't. Dd (4) got a bunny and loved this bunny! She had her for four days and it died. We came home one day and i could smell it (lived in the back porch in a huge cage), dd wanted to go get her bunny, somehow I convinced her to wait while dh took care of it . He left the ramp open (on propose) so when dd went to get her bunny later that day she found the ramp open. I told her someone must of let her out. She still talks about her bunny coming back.
Mommie2Kailen
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:09 AM

yes but it wasn't my pet, it was my sisters and she told her younger kids that kitten must have run away in actuality he died

Namaste09
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:16 AM

No I havent, we have our dog an then we foster cats an every now an then we can have a cat an some kittens for a couple months, but she has no problem letting go of them an knows where there going an she is 3.

I have had to tell her about her grandmas dog being put down, which we were totally honest about she asked if he was coming back home from the vets, an I told her no he isnt here anymore he is up in heaven. Then she was fine every now an then almost a year later she brings the conversation up an says he was her bestfriend.

velvetkitty
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:18 AM

No. :(  Our fish died, and my son was sad, but we had a little memorial service for the fishy.

Lvmyliberty
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:27 AM
No I told her the truth. We had a cat two years ago to get into antifreeze somehow. She always darted out the door. I took her to the emergency vet and I had her put down. Death isnt new to our family though. My daughter was 3 at the time. She knows people die sometimes when they get sick. Now if my son was still alive I would lie away. And keep them innocent from death
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyAddie
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:30 AM
Your circus story is cute :). I haven't lied about a pet's death, my kids handle death extremely matter-of-factly. I did lie when we rehomed our cat. Actually, I didn't say anything because they didn't seem to notice at first. Then when they asked, I froze and finally said he ran away. I don't know why and it was stupid, they still "see" him in the neighborhood and and want to catch him or put food out for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyAddie
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:35 AM
I'm not a fish mom either. My exhusband had a tank he wouldn't take care of and it smelled, stunk up the living room. I was outside on the deck and heard a crash, I immediately knew the cat knocked the tank over so I didn't rush in. The cat got a treat and ex came home to find the empty tank on the porch waiting to go to the shed.

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

Once.  It was that stupid fish that simply would not die.  We had it for years and it was the bain of my existence.  I am not a fish mom. (Some old lady was actually giving out live goldfish for Halloween!  I mean...seriously of all the horrid things to do!) But he lived and lived and just wouldn't stop living.  Finally he got sick and started to die but I swear he was drawing the process out for literally weeks longer than it needed to be.  In the end I couldn't take it anymore and my kids were upset at watching his slow and obviously painful demise.  So I woke up before them, fished him out of the tank and plopped him into the empty Coca Cola pitcher.  He was staring at me.  I nearly puked.  I grabbed a kitchen towel and covered the pitcher and ran out of the kitchen and hid for the next fifteen minutes. He was blessedly dead when I was brave enough to lift the towel and peek in.  I put him back in the tank for the kids to find when they got up.  They're none the wiser.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)