Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Difficult MIL situation

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
My MIL wants to watch our 1 year old overnight. My husband thinks this is an awesome idea, but I'm not so sure.
My MIL supposedly has multiple personality disorder. She is on no medication and receives no therapy for this condition. IMO, this would make her a little unstable. Even if she doesn't really have it, I would still consider her unstable (maybe even more so) for thinking/telling people she has it. Either way, I would rather she not be solely responsible for my son overnight, especially when she lives over an hour away and is 63 years old.

What do you guys think?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Does MIL live alone? Like, is there a FIL around?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:45 AM
I understand but as long as you can call then it should be fine.

Is this the first time away overnight?
Maybe you just have anxiety
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this
An hour away? Eh. Probay not, especially since lil one is only 1. I'd wait till like 3 yrs old.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:46 AM
There's a lesbian partner whose adult children don't even speak to her for unknown reasons...doesn't really make me feel any better!

Quoting Anonymous:

epoh
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:48 AM
The GFs relations with her kids are really none of your business and their relationship alone should not call for you to cast a poor judgment on her.

Quoting Anonymous:

There's a lesbian partner whose adult children don't even speak to her for unknown reasons...doesn't really make me feel any better!

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:49 AM
No, he stayed with my parents before one night. It's just her that makes me nervous.

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand but as long as you can call then it should be fine.

Is this the first time away overnight?

Maybe you just have anxiety

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momto3infl
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:49 AM

The distance and if she has this disorder with no med or help yes I see the issue-her age I feel has nothing to do with it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:50 AM
No its not a great idea. Your husband is an idiot!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Whoa lady! I'm just answering the question! What if I sent my kid there and it turns out she's a child molester and that's why her kids don't speak to her? I'm not saying that's the case, but it's not really something that makes me want to trust her with my children...

Quoting epoh:

The GFs relations with her kids are really none of your business and their relationship alone should not call for you to cast a poor judgment on her.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Nanamom127
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:54 AM

You're the mom!!! You have your child's safety completely in your hands. He cannot speak for himself or protect himself.  And he's a BABY to boot. If you have the SLIGHTEST concern, don't do it. 

And BTW, you have given excellent reasons for not doing it. So don't feel a bit bad about it. 

And it's not her age. I'm over 63. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)