Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Probably going to get bashed....but I don't agree with spousal support in most situations

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am all for child support because I feel a man has equal responsibility in raising a kid.  But I think spousal support is stupid in most situations.  I think there should be very few exceptions where someone gets it.

1. Disabled spouse with no way of working

2. SAHM. For a few months until she gets a job..  If she doesn't get a job within the allotted time....oh well. 

I don't think a woman with no kids should get it unless like I said she is disabled .....or her husband was the main bread winner and she kept house.  And again. 90 days to get a job. 

I think if a woman is living with someone then she shouldn't get it.  I have a neighbor who has lived with the same man for 10 years and won't marry him because her spousal support or Alimoney would stop.  Ridiculous. She had no kids with her ex but has two with the new guy,  

there may be other instances where it would be okay. But not many. 

Also...no my DH doesn't pay support to anyone. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Replies (361-370):
bellygirl
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree 100%.  Spousal support for extended time is ridiculous.  My father remarried a woman, with whom he never had kids.  She worked off and on durin thier 13 year marriage.  My dad was the main breadwinner.  However, she decided that she didn't want to work.  When they seperated my dad had to pay her spousal support for 5 years.  I was flabergasted.  She got their house too.  I was so upset.  My dad said the way he sees it, is that he's buying his freedom.  His wife had done some pretty sneaking things throughout their marriage.  I think it's spousal support is crap.  This has nothing to do with children and their support.   NO excuses, get a job and support yourself.  

lazyd
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Yea, i love my stepmom, but she shouldnt have gotten any spousal support from my dad when they divorced, cuz she had a very good job and house and didnt need the money.  She just took my dad to the poor house and used the money to buy a Porsche SUV!

RoxeyMama
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Wow yeah I agree with you...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 75 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:23 AM
So why didn't you go after your dreams or were your dreams to be a stay at home mom?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SweetPea2004:

I do not agree with spousal support period, that coming from someone who was a SAHM for a few years.

I don't really either,,,I can just see it in some circumstances. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 76 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:32 AM

So you should get half of his assets at that time. Nobody deserves to CONTINUE to profit off of his success. Especially if after the divorce you have nothing to do with it. You are not entitled to anything AFTER you have left him/after the divorce has been finalized.

Quoting Anonymous:

We have been married 10 years. If he gets up and tells me he's leaving me, I will have no problems going after alimony/spousal support. Most women give their husbands everything, their life, dreams and best years of their life. I helped my husband become the successful person that he is. There is no way I would let someone else reap the benefits of my love and support.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:47 AM
I have been in the military for 17 years. I make more money than my husband. This post has nothing to do with me. Other than I may end up having to pay support to him.

Quoting Anonymous:

So why didn't you go after your dreams or were your dreams to be a stay at home mom?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SweetPea2004:

I do not agree with spousal support period, that coming from someone who was a SAHM for a few years.

I don't really either,,,I can just see it in some circumstances. 

Amy1973Potts
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this
There is something to be said for personal responsibility. You were responsible for yourself before your husband. Be responsible during and after. You are you best and only advocate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
livingrlovesong
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:19 AM

He should be. But by the time he got caught, she turned 16, which is consenting age in this state and there is nothing they could do.

Quoting kngarber:

Oh my God, WHAT?? Is he in prison??

Quoting livingrlovesong:

Spousal supported is limited in my state. You only get it for half the time you were married. I asked for it, then dropped it later. But my ex husband worked full time. I only worked part time to take care of the kids. He left me for a 15 year old. So yes, I deserved the support.

plainjane55
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I do not agree at all. My poor uncle has been paying his wife nearly his whole paycheck, don't know the amount, just how he puts it. He got laid off a good job and took a major pay cut and now makes $10.50 an hour and they have no kids together. She has no disability, works part time, just desperate to keep her house while he lives in an efficency(spell much,lol) and the bathroom is shared, disgusting. It's depressed him so much he doesn't want to get involved with someone new because they're not worth dragging down with him because of his greedy wife. He just takes defeat, so sad.

plainjane55
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Quoting Amy1973Potts:

There is something to be said for personal responsibility. You were responsible for yourself before your husband. Be responsible during and after. You are you best and only advocate.

Well said!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)