Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Hi, if a child under age my DD , was interviewed by a detective without a parent or anyone present do you ladies think that was legal ?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Replies (11-20):
Wicked.Jester
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Depends on why.  Police can check out abuse claims too and a young child could easily confuse a DCFS agent with a police officer.  Anyone in authority can be confused for a cop by a small child.

If its DCFS, nope, they don't have to get permission for anything.  Its kind of the point, protecting the child.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM

The police recently talked to my nephew - after my bipolar (and unmedicated) brother in law kept him (not his son, he just lives at the house), my sister in law, and my 90 year old father in law "hostage" for 10 hours.  My sister in law (finally) called the police.  My sister in law is disabled, according to her anyway, and on heavy legal drugs.  My father in law in 90 and senile.  Yes, they talked to my nephew, and without the adults there.

Lorriane
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

There should be a parent or the very least an adult that the child knows. My kids have all been told that they are not to talk to the cops unless one of us are present. Most of the cops I know agree with me.

bbyB10
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:17 AM
She is actually the victim

Quoting Anonymous:

So long as she is not suspected of a crime, they can interview her without your presence or permission

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:19 AM
No.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Then of course they can interview her with out you. Why would you be upset about that?

Quoting bbyB10:

She is actually the victim

Quoting Anonymous:

So long as she is not suspected of a crime, they can interview her without your presence or permission

bbyB10
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM
She complained about pain in her vagina after being missing for a.week.and iy was after the day i recovered her thru the national center for missing and exploited children , I asked her what happened and she told me her dad had been touching her , real breif i will say that I filed a report and took her to the hospital where she was interviwed by police , then later by a detective without me present and idk wth was said

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

I would say that doesn't sound very legal... Why was she interviewed?

Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Oh my god!!! So she was kidnapped by her dad? Is he in jail? I'm so sorry for you and especially your daughter :-(

Quoting bbyB10:

She complained about pain in her vagina after being missing for a.week.and iy was after the day i recovered her thru the national center for missing and exploited children , I asked her what happened and she told me her dad had been touching her , real breif i will say that I filed a report and took her to the hospital where she was interviwed by police , then later by a detective without me present and idk wth was said

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

I would say that doesn't sound very legal... Why was she interviewed?

TaralynnStewart
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Not legal but depends on the questions. Was she interrogated or asked a few general questions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM
They tried to do this to me at my middle school I was about 13 for cutting. Little did they know my mom was bringing me into school at that time and threw a big hissy fit about it but they did it anyway even with her saying no. They took pictures of my arms and tried to say my mom was abusing me...although she was very abusive more mentally than physically I was the one cutting not her...a friends mom called cps cause my friend told her mom even tho that friend cut too...yeah it was a messed up situation...and all my mom did was embarrass herself cause she yelled and screamed and the whole school heard her lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)