Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi, if a child under age my DD , was interviewed by a detective without a parent or anyone present do you ladies think that was legal ?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Replies (21-30):
gypsy30
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it's legal.  But I had a detective interview my son at school one day and I wasn't aware of it until after it was over.  It was about another kid and some trouble he'd gotten in to. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Minor need a parent present.
wildlilacs
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Dont know. My dd at age 12 talked to police at school. She was removed from class to principal office. She witnessed her friend get jumped by classmates on way home from school. No one contacted me.
bbyB10
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM
He hid her and my son after his visitation was over they hid my kids inside long beach city hall where his mom works , they missed a whole week of school and no he did not go to jail

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

Oh my god!!! So she was kidnapped by her dad? Is he in jail? I'm so sorry for you and especially your daughter :-(

Quoting bbyB10:

She complained about pain in her vagina after being missing for a.week.and iy was after the day i recovered her thru the national center for missing and exploited children , I asked her what happened and she told me her dad had been touching her , real breif i will say that I filed a report and took her to the hospital where she was interviwed by police , then later by a detective without me present and idk wth was said

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

I would say that doesn't sound very legal... Why was she interviewed?

Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Does he still have visitation?

Quoting bbyB10:

He hid her and my son after his visitation was over they hid my kids inside long beach city hall where his mom works , they missed a whole week of school and no he did not go to jail

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

Oh my god!!! So she was kidnapped by her dad? Is he in jail? I'm so sorry for you and especially your daughter :-(

Quoting bbyB10:

She complained about pain in her vagina after being missing for a.week.and iy was after the day i recovered her thru the national center for missing and exploited children , I asked her what happened and she told me her dad had been touching her , real breif i will say that I filed a report and took her to the hospital where she was interviwed by police , then later by a detective without me present and idk wth was said

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

bbyB10
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Yes I did everything I could

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

Does he still have visitation?

Quoting bbyB10:

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

Quoting bbyB10:

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

If they aren't the ones suspected of a crime, then they can interview her.  

For example, if the parent is the one under investigation, they can interview a child, but I'm not sure they can necessarily detain them....

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

In my state, victims can be questioned without a parent. You might want to check your state laws. 

Quoting bbyB10:

She is actually the victim

Quoting Anonymous:

So long as she is not suspected of a crime, they can interview her without your presence or permission

Life in a Pagan Family (my blog)
http://lifeinapaganfamily.blog.com/
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Now that I'm thinking more about it...  I think they can interview minors if they are looking for information or leads, however, it can't be held up in court, so it's a balancing act because they have to get info but they need to do it legally in order for it to be court worthy.

I don't think it would bother me if they interviewed her in this case because I'd want the Dad to pay for whatever he's doing and getting the info from her quickly gives her the best chance to remember without getting it mixed up with heresay and such.

bbyB10
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Well something happened between what she told me and what she told the detective because they ended up saying that my DD who is 9 doesn't have evidence to prove it

Quoting KrissyKC:

Now that I'm thinking more about it...  I think they can interview minors if they are looking for information or leads, however, it can't be held up in court, so it's a balancing act because they have to get info but they need to do it legally in order for it to be court worthy.

I don't think it would bother me if they interviewed her in this case because I'd want the Dad to pay for whatever he's doing and getting the info from her quickly gives her the best chance to remember without getting it mixed up with heresay and such.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured