Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Sleeping medicine for a child?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies

i am going anon because i dont want hate emails

my dd is now four years old

she spent the first two years of her life in the same room as her brothers and when we moved she got her own room. it is right next door to her two brothers room. there was some issues with her room but we got them taken care of but she still will not sleep in her room all night

she will fall asleep just fine but is always waking up.

Can the pedi give her some medicine to help her train her body to sleep all night?

(she is going for checkup friday and so i will ask the pedi then)

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilrockerMama
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:51 AM
I don't think so. I've given my 2 yr old a fourth of 3mg melatonin but I'd talk to your pedi first, mine said it was fine you just can't make it routine. Some say give Benadryl but I'm against that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Ack, why?? It will take time, but she will get used to it. The thought of giving my child something to make them sleep scares the crap out of me. And I am sure some will suggest melatonin. I say no. I tried that, and it messed with my body. Periods were skipped, I had headaches when I stopped it and it made me have awful vivid and weird ass dreams.

sthflachk
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Nooooooo....she will adjust.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:52 AM

No.

Just tell her to stay in bed. They sell clocks that turn a different color at the time you tell them to. Stay in bed till your clock turns green. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:53 AM
I think it's just something that will take some time. The only thing sleep meds will do is train her body to need them to fall asleep. And that's a bad habit for a four year old to get into :-/
momsince04
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Why can't you be a normal parent and deal with her having to get use to a new room? It's obvious she won't sleep right away, you've taken her out of her comfort zone, but starting her on sleep meds is fucked up. What if you give her something and she never wakes up? Deal with the crying whining and waking up until she can stay in bed by herself.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I wouldn't give her medicine.....

Dd is 2, she has her own room and a toddler bed, and she wakes up at night and crawls into bed with Dh and I. It doesn't bother me, and i wouldn't ever medicate her so she would not wake up at night. 

Hyman
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Go look at whole foods. There is something called calm forte or whatever and it is designed to help the child sleep and stay asleep. It's all natural. I give it to my son when he's having a hard phase (teething).

Research natural or homeopathic sleep aids for children. There's actually quite alot.
wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Ask her pedi about melatonin. It is natural and it worked wonders for my 4 yr old. She started doing the same thing. I talked to his Dr and she reccomended 3mg of melatonin half an hour before bed and it has been 3 months and he has no problems sleeping or staying alseep now

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:55 AM
I give my 3yr melatonin.He he has autism and is extremely hyper active.He can wake up at 6am stay up until 1am and still wake up at 3am and and stay up all night.Also cut out juice.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)