Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you have WIC?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My DH lost his job recently, and we both have multiple applications in but while awaiting interviews and a job we have applied for WIC.

(We didn't apply for FS because it's unneccesary between our food supply and savings but YDD has certain medical requirements that make her need formula past 1 year and the formula she uses is far from cheap. To pay bills and buy all she needs would very quickly drain what savings we have, and we're trying to be careful. I know some will bash me for using WIC anyway, but whatever)

We get WIC for both children and peanut butter is included. ODD is severely allergic (can't even touch it) to peanut protien.

If I bring medical documentation is, will the WIC office substitute some other kind of butter? She can eat almond/hazlenut/sunflower butter, but they aren't open today so I can't ask them.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Replies (11-20):
wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:18 PM

They might, but usually they will give you beans instead of peanut butter

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Thanks for the quick response everyone. I appreciate it! We've never used WIC, I had a cashier tell me that someone bought sunflower butter in place of it, but then I have friends who live in my area that say they just pulled it off their check.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM
They will sub for beans.
kngarber
by Katie on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I don't think so, but you can try.  I know they will alternate the formula if your have an Rx from the doctor, but the PB I don't think so.

mama_2_jasper
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:24 PM
On the checks, you can either get beans or peanut butter. Just chose beans.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BethanyJ
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I really wish they could (and I bet the WIC employees wish they could too~!) but WIC is a federal program and there was a HUGE fight to make even the most recent changes (adding fresh fruit/veggies/ whole grain choice, and soy beverages for adults who are allergic to or can't tolerate cow's milk).   It would be really nice if WIC made exceptions for allergies, but it's a very slow process.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:26 PM

They will give tofu instead of cheese too.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope , only substitution they allow is formula / milk.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Bump
2manydiapers
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:29 PM
The will supplement the peanut butter with beans, not other butters.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
puertoricangeek
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:29 PM

They should give you some kind of substitue. They can't make you feed your child something that they are allergic too. Bring in a note from their dr. they will give you some form of protien to substitute. They shouldn't give you too hard of a time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured