Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you have WIC?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My DH lost his job recently, and we both have multiple applications in but while awaiting interviews and a job we have applied for WIC.

(We didn't apply for FS because it's unneccesary between our food supply and savings but YDD has certain medical requirements that make her need formula past 1 year and the formula she uses is far from cheap. To pay bills and buy all she needs would very quickly drain what savings we have, and we're trying to be careful. I know some will bash me for using WIC anyway, but whatever)

We get WIC for both children and peanut butter is included. ODD is severely allergic (can't even touch it) to peanut protien.

If I bring medical documentation is, will the WIC office substitute some other kind of butter? She can eat almond/hazlenut/sunflower butter, but they aren't open today so I can't ask them.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Nope. If you can't eat peanut butter then you just don't eat it. You might be able to get beans instead, but that's the only option.

whitneymf
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Yeah you just won't be able to get pb you will have to get beans because that's the other option.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
whitneymf
Yeah you just won't be able to get pb you will have to get beans because that's the other option.
ALWsMomma
This

Quoting wrensong:

They might, but usually they will give you beans instead of peanut butter

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:32 PM

When I got wic you could get peanut butter OR dry beans...they change it so often I am not sure they still do that, but its worth an inquiry.

BethanyJ
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Quoting puertoricangeek:

They should give you some kind of substitue. They can't make you feed your child something that they are allergic too. Bring in a note from their dr. they will give you some form of protien to substitute. They shouldn't give you too hard of a time.

They can't do that sometimes even in the case of allergies because only certain foods are "WIC" approved.  It takes YEARS to change WIC and the foods have to go through tons of processes and contracts with companies have to be made and signed before foods can be paid for with WIC vouchers.  It's not as simple as just assigning a substitue.  They can only issue pre-approved foods.  OP's best bet is to use get the beans instead of peanut butter.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM
They will probably substitute it with beans for protein. The other kinds of butters are probably too expensive.
sophiesister2
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:34 PM
You can get beans instead i believe.
ksueditz
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:36 PM
You can substitute dry beans or fat free refried beans, black beans etc. They asked us at our appointment if we wanted peanut butter. Opt for beans.

Quoting Anonymous:

They will give you beans.

puertoricangeek
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I know the last time I had WIC I had the peanut butter only option on one of the vouchers. They should be able to trade that one/two for beans for her if it is like I had it.

Quoting BethanyJ:

Quoting puertoricangeek:

They should give you some kind of substitue. They can't make you feed your child something that they are allergic too. Bring in a note from their dr. they will give you some form of protien to substitute. They shouldn't give you too hard of a time.

They can't do that sometimes even in the case of allergies because only certain foods are "WIC" approved.  It takes YEARS to change WIC and the foods have to go through tons of processes and contracts with companies have to be made and signed before foods can be paid for with WIC vouchers.  It's not as simple as just assigning a substitue.  They can only issue pre-approved foods.  OP's best bet is to use get the beans instead of peanut butter.  

Plus Sized and Pregnant
www.cafemom.com/groups/118326
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured