Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you have WIC?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My DH lost his job recently, and we both have multiple applications in but while awaiting interviews and a job we have applied for WIC.

(We didn't apply for FS because it's unneccesary between our food supply and savings but YDD has certain medical requirements that make her need formula past 1 year and the formula she uses is far from cheap. To pay bills and buy all she needs would very quickly drain what savings we have, and we're trying to be careful. I know some will bash me for using WIC anyway, but whatever)

We get WIC for both children and peanut butter is included. ODD is severely allergic (can't even touch it) to peanut protien.

If I bring medical documentation is, will the WIC office substitute some other kind of butter? She can eat almond/hazlenut/sunflower butter, but they aren't open today so I can't ask them.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Replies (31-40):
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Yes, they should be able to do that.  I certainly wish it were easier for WIC to provide substitutes.  It's frustrating for moms whose kids are either allergic or follow a certain diet for health or religious reasons.

Quoting puertoricangeek:

I know the last time I had WIC I had the peanut butter only option on one of the vouchers. They should be able to trade that one/two for beans for her if it is like I had it.

Quoting BethanyJ:

Quoting puertoricangeek:

They should give you some kind of substitue. They can't make you feed your child something that they are allergic too. Bring in a note from their dr. they will give you some form of protien to substitute. They shouldn't give you too hard of a time.

They can't do that sometimes even in the case of allergies because only certain foods are "WIC" approved.  It takes YEARS to change WIC and the foods have to go through tons of processes and contracts with companies have to be made and signed before foods can be paid for with WIC vouchers.  It's not as simple as just assigning a substitue.  They can only issue pre-approved foods.  OP's best bet is to use get the beans instead of peanut butter.  

by Petty LaBelle on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:20 PM
They will just give you more beans
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I completely understand, can you get help through CCIS (Child Care Information Services)?It may be called something different where you live. They help pay for childcare if you're working or going to school or both. If you are working, you have a co-pay; we were both working and the co-pay was so high that it was actually cheaper for us to just pay out of pocket because we only needed daycare about twice a week. The only thing that sucked were the weeks where we had 3 or more days we needed daycare, but they have some stupid rules, but it's good if you're both working and you have the same or similar schedules.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's our problem. WIC only covers about half of what we go through a month, but medical bills meant a slow build up of our savings account. We've cut out every unneccessary thing until we have the income we once had, but with the lack of jobs in this town it's not easy to find one that would even bring in enough of a paycheck to cover daycare.

Quoting Queen_Sheila:

I'm a cashier at Wal-MArt and one of my customers has the super special formula on WIC, over $180 for 8 cans, I know it doesn't come cheap. I don't know about the peanut butter because none of us have any allergies, all I know is they will substitute milk and formula for lactose free and such.

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Probably not.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:18 PM

You might need an actual prescription from the doctor, but I'm not sure about that.

by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:35 PM
You are sitting her saying you wont have the money for medical and food but you dont need to.apply for food stamps? Thats what food stamps are for to help people in need. Get over your self and apply for freaking food stamps!
by Anonymous 12 on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:36 PM

every wic office is different, just call your local wic office and ask.

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:36 PM

no here you get peanut butter or beans

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:38 PM

No they won't.  You will have to get some and pay for it yourself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)