Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anemic toddler *edit*

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:02 PM
  • 11 Replies
My son was sent for a CBC last nite and his Dr. Called me and said he is anemic. His levels are a tad bit low. She wants to do more testing on Wednesday to look further into it. I didn't even think to ask what exactly that means? *** Thanks so much for the replies. But what I meant was I don't understand why she would want more testing? What would she be looking for? I didn't even think to ask her at the time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:03 PM

google it. its about low iron and the bodies absorbtion of it. ds2 had low iron deficiency a few months ago.

Mrs_Nelson
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Low iron in the blood.  They might give him sup's but you can also help by feeding him veg rich in iron or red meat.  Good Luck

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I think spinach is high in iron and can be pureed into anything if you have a hard time getting him to eat iron.   If after focusing on bringing his iron up in his food intake and suppliments, he still has low iron, the doc will probably recommend other tests to see if there's another reason.

PepperWillow
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Cream of wheat is very high in iron. Give him that each day with a glass of orange juice. The vitamin c in the oj will help him absorb the iron. 

I have pretty serious iron issues. I can't absorb it in my gut so I have to go about every three months to an infusion center every other day for two weeks to get IV iron. Being anemic sucks.

if it gets really severe his hemoglobin will drop and that is very dangerous. It means his organs won't get the oxygen to them that they need. 

Side effects are being tired, weak, some people get a rapid heart rate and even chest pain. 

It's good you doc caught it early. Look up iron rich foods. Eating the actual food usually works better than the pills. Make sure you give the foods with vit c.

mommy2ahero06
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:16 PM
My oldest is anemic he has been ever since his treatments. If you google foods high in iron they will give you a long list. We try to push a lot of high enriched iron foods. We also give him extra vitamin c so he can absorb as much as he can. They days he doesnt get enough iron we can tell by how tired he is he also bruises easier and sometimes feels light headed.
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:34 PM

It just means his iron is low. My oldest went through that. I just gave him oatmeal that was high in iron every morning for breakfast and that fixed it. Oh and started giving him spinach for snacks.

babyboy117
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:07 PM
The thing is... He eats a good amount of food with iron in it. I also give him a multi vitamin everyday. He gets constipated alot..not sire why. But she wanted to do more testing next week. I just don't know why she wants to do more.

Quoting PepperWillow:

Cream of wheat is very high in iron. Give him that each day with a glass of orange juice. The vitamin c in the oj will help him absorb the iron. 

I have pretty serious iron issues. I can't absorb it in my gut so I have to go about every three months to an infusion center every other day for two weeks to get IV iron. Being anemic sucks.

if it gets really severe his hemoglobin will drop and that is very dangerous. It means his organs won't get the oxygen to them that they need. 

Side effects are being tired, weak, some people get a rapid heart rate and even chest pain. 

It's good you doc caught it early. Look up iron rich foods. Eating the actual food usually works better than the pills. Make sure you give the foods with vit c.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM

low iron...cook his food in cast iron pans..it will add iron to his food naturally as a supplement can be constipating

babyboy117
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Bump
babyboy117
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN