Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Don't mess with Texas!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 79 Replies
13 moms liked this
A girl from Texas and a girl from New York are seated side by side on an airplane. The girl from Texas, being friendly and all, asks, "So where y'all from?" The girl from New York says, "from a place where they know better than to use a preposition at the end of a sentence." The girl from Texas sits quietly for a few moments and then replies, "So where y'all from, bitch?"

ETA: you ladies are awesome! 1) I'm not from TX but I saw the joke and thought I would share and 2) It went from a joke to a grammar post I Love it!! :)
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sburst
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Bump
louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM
4 moms liked this

I am a Louisiana woman, currently living in Texas. In Southern vernacular, a person would not use the word "y'all" to address a single person. It is used similiar to the Californian or Northwestern "you guys". Or the Spanish "Ustes".

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:25 PM
2 moms liked this

We do use y'all for a single person. It's not correct since y'all is a contraction for you all, but it is used that way in Texas. All y'all is a larger group.

Quoting louzannalady:

I am a Louisiana woman, currently living in Texas. In Southern vernacular, a person would not use the word "y'all" to address a single person. It is used similiar to the Californian or Northwestern "you guys". Or the Spanish "Ustes".

southernbelletx
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:27 PM
6 moms liked this
I'm a Texas girl and I've never heard y'all used for one person....

Quoting Anonymous:

We do use y'all for a single person. It's not correct since y'all is a contraction for you all, but it is used that way in Texas. All y'all is a larger group.

Quoting louzannalady:

angelmj
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:28 PM
2 moms liked this
I try not to say y'all it's annoying, and I never would say it to address one person. Funny though.
southernbelletx
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol I liked your joke.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Thanks it went from joke to a grammar post lol

Quoting southernbelletx:

Lol I liked your joke.
southernbelletx
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes it did. Sooo I thought I'd add some Texas sayings. If you eat too much- I'm full as a tick!! In disbelief- well spit straight up and duck. Lol.. I've heard- it's hotter out here than an acre of burning stumps( oh lord I live on the LA TX border and we have some lovely people out here)....anyone else?

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks it went from joke to a grammar post lol

Quoting southernbelletx:

Lol I liked your joke.

PaperClip811
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM
2 moms liked this

LOL.. when DH or I realize we're going to end a sentence with a preposition (it's just unavoidable sometimes!!), or hear someone else do it.. we say 'mafucka'. LMAO he got it off some movie.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)