Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Would you get rid of an animal for a child? EDIT

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
If you had to choose between an animal and your kid which would you choose??

I cannot believe the responses to the other post. I get loving your animal, but if the child is allergic, the animal has to go. I dont care if its just her step kid that is allergic, it shouldnt even be a question.

Edit: Wow, I went to bed with 100 responses and woke up to 300 lol I didnt realize this would take off like this....

So new question...

For those of you that are fine with just medicating the kid, so you can keep your beloved pet, what if you were the BM in this situation. Would you be okay with Dad drugging your child, with several benedryl a day, everytime your kid goes for visitation?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Replies (211-220):
Lurion
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:15 AM

I had a neighbor whose daughter was highly allergic to their dogs. They made the girl go in and get an allergy shot once a week instead of getting rid of the dogs. I thought it was cruel. Some of those shots have turned out to be harmful to kids' health. 

Donna.June
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:17 AM
I'd get rid of the animal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 32 on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:23 AM
As a mom, my first responsibility is to my child. I would not make my child suffer to keep an animal in the house. That is not fair to anyone, and the quality of all of our lives (kid, pet, and everyone else) would be affected. I would find a good home for the pet - NOT dump it in a shelter. "Getting rid" of a pet sounds incredibly negative, but sometimes it is in the best interest of everyone, pet included.
Mommyfish831
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:41 AM

We did over 2 years ago.  And it was one of the hardest things I have ever done.  My son was about 1 1/2 when he started scratching.  I took him into the doctor and she thought it was eczema and gave us something so try for that and it did nothing.  Mean while his itching was just as bad and it started to look like hives all over his body.  She sent us to he allergy specialst.  I was sure it was an allergy to milk, eggs or gluten, something along those lines.  So I was very shocked when they told me it was cat hair and dander and dog hair and dander.  I had a cat that had lived with us (me, my mom or sister) for 11 years and the other was my oldest daughters cat and he was so sweet and loving really the best ca ever, mellow, laid back and willing to love my daughter 3 1/2 at the time and put up with being smothered and packed around the house at all hours.  So I tried for 3 months to find home for them, but nobody wanted to take them in.  So I had o take them o the rescue shelter and I will never forget it.  It was so hysterical.  Then it took us 6 months of a lot of washing over and over and steam cleaning the floors before he stopped itching every day.  Now he he mild itching when he is around someone who has animals at their home and have fur and dander on their clothing.

it was the most heart breaking thing I have had to do so far as a parent but we could not keep them with how bad his itching was.  It makes me mad to see this on Facebook too

I loved my cats, really loved them but my son could not live in the same house with them.  

Uhura
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Depends on how allergic the child is and what can be done about it. If they can take medicine for their allergies, probably not going to get rid of the animal.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom Tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 33 on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:50 AM

I don't even know how this should be a tough decision. I get the animal is a pet, but it is just an animal, and it is making your child SICK!  Where is this an issue?  Even with a step child.

C8linVilla
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Our daughter was allergic to a kitten we got so sadly we rehomed. Felt it was better for everyone. we only had the kitten about 2 days. 

But I had a bunch of Idiots here on Cafemom tell my that I needed to send my cat to the pound because it accidently fell on my daughter and scratched her face! They said as a responsible parent I need to get rid of a *danger* in my house. People i think are idiots! It was 100% an accident and the baby was fine and she was not harmed by it. you know there was blood but she is now almost 3 years old and she does not remember it at all! The cat is now an outdoor cat and very happy but i seriously could not believe the comments people will make! What about those who accidently let their lo's fall off the bed? or the husband who accidently bumps a head? or anything!! You going to get rid of yourself or husband? Frustrating as hell!

djscinnabun
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:49 AM

It really depends - its been proven having pets can reduce and condition allergies, and worst case scenario during a peak point, the full blowout sheds about twice a year for example, the child takes a chewable Zyrtec with their vitamin supplements! I was a good example of this working as a child when I developed an allergy to cats after reintroducing one to our home after a year of not having had one. For another thing, depending on the age of the animal, among other possible factors, it can be cruel to rehome them. Last summer we adopted a short haired low shed rescue dog, the previous adopting family returned her to the shelter after seven months claiming allergies - we were her third rehome as experienced handlers prepared to take on a challenging case, it became clear she had an entirely fabricated profile from the last family and showed obvious behavioral signs indicating abuse - if another family had been ill- prepared to deal with her special needs and returned her a third time, she sadly would have been put down. 

weirdkids
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:59 AM

i actually am currently going through this. my ds has aweful enviromental allergies and is allergic to my step daughter and dh's guinea pigs and their hay lol ugh. it was a nightmare at first but once we figured it out, moved them to a different floor in the house that ds doesnt go to as well as all the supplies and havent had an issue since. 

i guess it depends on how severe the allergy is.(dog or cat) if it can be controlled with allergy medication then cool, id keep the animal but if it was anything like ds and the guinea pigs, they would have to go. only reason we kept the piggies was because they could be moved to a safe distance

acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:04 AM
My son has mild allergies to dogs and cats. We have 3 cats and a dog. Ds would not want to get rid of the pets. We had them long before we knew of his mild allergies. I think he is accustomed to ours for he doesn't show many allergy symptoms at home unless it's seasonal or to dust, but when we are around others pets, he gets all sneezy and his eyes get red. I have eye drops for him as well as zyrtec. Ds says it himself, the pets are part of our family. He is 11 however and almost 12 and was able to weigh in with our decision to keep the pets. If he had displayed severe allergies to the pets, we would not have them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN