Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Would you get rid of an animal for a child? EDIT

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
If you had to choose between an animal and your kid which would you choose??

I cannot believe the responses to the other post. I get loving your animal, but if the child is allergic, the animal has to go. I dont care if its just her step kid that is allergic, it shouldnt even be a question.

Edit: Wow, I went to bed with 100 responses and woke up to 300 lol I didnt realize this would take off like this....

So new question...

For those of you that are fine with just medicating the kid, so you can keep your beloved pet, what if you were the BM in this situation. Would you be okay with Dad drugging your child, with several benedryl a day, everytime your kid goes for visitation?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
egyptian_mommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:25 PM
2 moms liked this
I did. I had two rescue cats that I loved. But my 2 year old (at the time) ds developed a severe allergy to the point he was having breathing problems. The cats had to go.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sweetmissy_05
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:26 PM
9 moms liked this

My children of course..they always come first.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:26 PM
15 moms liked this

If my kid was allergic, Fido would have to go. I mean, the only alternative is medication and I wouldn't put that shit in my kids for an animal.

marissa615
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:26 PM
2 moms liked this

My child is ALWAYS #1

MyGirlsAbbyLiz
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:26 PM
2 moms liked this
If the allergy can be treated with meds i see no reason to get rid of a pet.
NiCo86
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this
its not that he was allergic, he was only in the home every other weekend and benadryl cured his symptoms while he was there. if he were in the home more (i.e. week on week off or for extended holidays, etc) THEN i would agree with getting rid of the cats.

abd this is comibg from somebody who hates cats!
Jessica_Esqueda
3 moms liked this

If my child was there ALL the time around the pet, Fido would be finding a new home. If it's a 2 days a month thing, that's silly to rehome the pet. There are ways to control the allergy. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I have had to make that decision and my dogs had to go.  One had to be put to sleep due to trying to bite and extreme aggression.  And it turns out my child is allergic to dogs and the other two had to be re-homed.  It was not an easy decision but it was the best decision for all involved.  We found them a great home together with a wonderful family.

Bknotnobody
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:27 PM
This

Quoting MyGirlsAbbyLiz:

If the allergy can be treated with meds i see no reason to get rid of a pet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wodntulk2kno1
If my child's health was at risk I would pick my child over my animal. I would also place the animal with a family member.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)