Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Would you get rid of an animal for a child? EDIT

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
If you had to choose between an animal and your kid which would you choose??

I cannot believe the responses to the other post. I get loving your animal, but if the child is allergic, the animal has to go. I dont care if its just her step kid that is allergic, it shouldnt even be a question.

Edit: Wow, I went to bed with 100 responses and woke up to 300 lol I didnt realize this would take off like this....

So new question...

For those of you that are fine with just medicating the kid, so you can keep your beloved pet, what if you were the BM in this situation. Would you be okay with Dad drugging your child, with several benedryl a day, everytime your kid goes for visitation?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Replies (31-40):
Katt709
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:30 PM
I love my dog. I'd hate to give her away but I would if it came down to my child's health.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
samanthastaatss
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:30 PM

O_O Holy shit, I must have missed that post.

Quoting Anonymous:

Apparently since the kid is only a step kid, it doesnt matter..... SMH

Quoting samanthastaatss:

I can't believe that's even a question, what kind of mother would pick an animal over her own flesh and blood? I hope we're all on the same page here..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:30 PM
3 moms liked this
Depends if medication worked at treating the issue or not, I would only rehome my child as a last resort. I would make sure to post a rehoming fee to insure my child found a good and caring home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Many children allergic don't suffer at all when proper measures are taken.

Quoting robyann:

I agree with you. A child ALWAYS comes before an animal! Even if the animal has been in the family for years, sorry but the child comes first. Even a step child, geeezz come on who would let a child suffer because they love their animal too much. They love their animal more than a child?

LaceNBklyn
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:30 PM
6 moms liked this
Animal has to go no question. I gave birth to a child not a pet.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
surromama
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:30 PM
If the child can take meds to control the issue then I'd keep it. If it would cause discomfort to the child the prt would have to go.
If it was a part time step child, the same applies. If the child isn't there very much, I may try to find somewhere for the dog to go on the days the child is there.
My son constantly sneezes, watery eyes, swells if a cat touches him and that's all with allergy meds. I wouldn't want him to live with that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Beth3721
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:31 PM
10 moms liked this

Animals aren't disposable.

Gwynyth
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this

My child comes first. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM
3 moms liked this
If it was life threatening the child of course, but if it's a mild allergy there is no need to send the cat to it's death at a shelter. There are allergy medicines that are non drowsy.
428pm
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this

mildly allergic, the allergist gave us instructions on keeping his room a cat free zone, keeping his door closed and washing down the entire apartment with a wet cloth each week.  I do it with no regrets.

My cats are my family.  I would not put them out, particularly if they were elderly as in the other post.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting 428pm:

My son is allergic to our cats, they are still here and will remain here.

How allergic?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)