Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Would you get rid of an animal for a child? EDIT

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
If you had to choose between an animal and your kid which would you choose??

I cannot believe the responses to the other post. I get loving your animal, but if the child is allergic, the animal has to go. I dont care if its just her step kid that is allergic, it shouldnt even be a question.

Edit: Wow, I went to bed with 100 responses and woke up to 300 lol I didnt realize this would take off like this....

So new question...

For those of you that are fine with just medicating the kid, so you can keep your beloved pet, what if you were the BM in this situation. Would you be okay with Dad drugging your child, with several benedryl a day, everytime your kid goes for visitation?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Why even put your child on UN NES meds wen you can just get rid of the pet??

Quoting surromama:

If the child can take meds to control the issue then I'd keep it. If it would cause discomfort to the child the prt would have to go.

If it was a part time step child, the same applies. If the child isn't there very much, I may try to find somewhere for the dog to go on the days the child is there.

My son constantly sneezes, watery eyes, swells if a cat touches him and that's all with allergy meds. I wouldn't want him to live with that.
AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this

... except, if benedryl is the only thing that helps, and benedryl knocks your kid out, that presents a problem. I'm not willing to dope my child up with mood altering, sleep inducing medication to keep a pet. Period. We adore our animals, but if it can't be fixed with an allergy shot, doggy must go.

Quoting Bknotnobody:

This

Quoting MyGirlsAbbyLiz:

If the allergy can be treated with meds i see no reason to get rid of a pet.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Mocking.Jay
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM
4 moms liked this

Neither are children! *le gasp*

Quoting Beth3721:

Animals aren't disposable.

JayeC2
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this

As long as the allergy isn't life threatening, there are alot of things you can do to reduce the dander in the home, and thereby reduce the child's reaction.  A friend of mine is VERY allergic, to the point where she actually cannot breathe around cats - however, she's able to come into my home even though I've had as many as three cats at the time....this all has to do with how I clean my home and my cats.  I myself am mildly allergic, and would never NOT have cats :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Even just having them every other weekend, as a step mom, I would make my home as welcoming as possible. Seperating the child from the cat, doesnt get rid of the allergens and cat hair that will be everywhere

Quoting ADC2005:

If there was any other solution no the animals would stay

It's also important to note in the other post it was stated the kid would only be there twice a month and she is keeping the child and the cats separated

KyrinM
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:33 PM
3 moms liked this

We got rid of a dog who became hostile to our then 2 year old.  She was never harmed by our child, & one day she started growling & showing serious hostility towards our little girl.  She was a 50 lb dog capable of killing our child, so we sent her away.  Allergies, hmmm...likely we would find a way to keep the animal & help the kid deal with the allergies.  But most pet allergies are usually due to being raised in a home that has no pets.  I have noticed that a lot of the people I know who have pet allergies never had pets as a kid. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Nope, the cat would stay

Gwynyth
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I completely agree, but if my child had allergies and was getting sick from pet allergies, I would have to think of her first. Our pets are part of our family, and I'd hate to give them up, but I couldn't put her Heath at risk either.

Quoting Beth3721:

Animals aren't disposable.

Bells2000
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this
my girls are number 1

my cats are number 2

i love all and am glad i dont have to pick between the two. cats are locked out of the bedroom at night and when girls'are sleeping. i just worry one might sleep on my girls face by accisent,'etc.'cats are 9 and 2, girls are 2 years and 5 months.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shygrl3cccm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Children 1st of course! I would not care if SK came over once a year, if they were allergic the animals would be gone. Not that I have SK or am an animal lover.... So easy for me =)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)