Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O Would you get rid of an animal for a child? EDIT

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
If you had to choose between an animal and your kid which would you choose??

I cannot believe the responses to the other post. I get loving your animal, but if the child is allergic, the animal has to go. I dont care if its just her step kid that is allergic, it shouldnt even be a question.

Edit: Wow, I went to bed with 100 responses and woke up to 300 lol I didnt realize this would take off like this....

So new question...

For those of you that are fine with just medicating the kid, so you can keep your beloved pet, what if you were the BM in this situation. Would you be okay with Dad drugging your child, with several benedryl a day, everytime your kid goes for visitation?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Replies (821-830):
wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you are stretching this a bit. I'm allergic to cats and I own two. If I happen to have a allergic reaction I take one and its gone, not several. And Benadryl isn't "drugging" a child. You act like he's being given heroin.

kailu1835
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM
I read what you wrote about your son. But before that you stated that if it (he) could be controlled with meds, you'd do that instead of getting rid of the pet. Putting your kids on meds that he has to take every day just so you can keep your pet is putting your child's health at great risk, in comparison to the risk to his health if you were to just get rid of the pet so your kid could stay healthy without being drugged (which really isn't healthy by any stretch anyway).

Quoting surromama:

Clearly you didn't read what I posted before No. I'm not repeating myself.

Quoting kailu1835:

Putting one's child at risk on purpose, just for your own selfish desires to own a pet (I am most definitely not talking about service animals here) is tantamount to child abuse. Depending on the type of medication you're shoving down your kids throat so you can keep your pet, side effects of allergy medications can include nosebleeds, IBS symptoms, yeast infections, glaucoma and cataracts, stomach ulcers, delayed growth in children, just to name a few. But yes, keeping your pet is so much more important than making sure your child stays healthy.

SMH

Quoting surromama:

No

Quoting kailu1835:

Why should the child be forced to take a medication every single day that has a side effect list the size of my arm just so you can keep your animal? That doesn't sound selfish to you?

Quoting surromama:

If the child can take meds to control the issue then I'd keep it. If it would cause discomfort to the child the prt would have to go.

If it was a part time step child, the same applies. If the child isn't there very much, I may try to find somewhere for the dog to go on the days the child is there.

My son constantly sneezes, watery eyes, swells if a cat touches him and that's all with allergy meds. I wouldn't want him to live with that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JoyXtwo
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:56 PM
I have allergies to some animals. I also am a huge animal lover, we have 2 dogs and a cat, which are essentially my idea/ doing. So, I come from both sides.

A visiting relative, I would not. A permanent household member, it would depend on the severity, and alternate arrangements. Such as not allowing the animal in certain areas of the house. If the allergies where quite severe then obviously the answer is yes.
I'm not a fan of taking medication for allergies, in fact, I dont at all. I wouldn't expect my child to live off of them. I dont think anybody would.

This is a very large grey area. Not a black and white question.
surromama
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:57 PM
I also said if the meds caused the child discomfort, the pet would have to go.
I also said, if a part time step child was there I would find a place for it to go, among other things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Scottishbrat33
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I would choose my child.Then I would find the pet a good home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:07 PM
I didn't see where she said it was adopted. It could have been a gift, it could have wondered up. The point is, your child should come FIRST!

Quoting taeray:

You're still responsible for the animals you adopt. You're not keeping your dog or cat for dinner, you adopted it and took on the responsibility of having a pet. Can't handle that, don't have pets.

Quoting Anonymous:

We kill animals to eat everyday. Get real.

Quoting taeray:

Wow, they're living things with feelings. They're completely helpless, living creatures, dependent on the mercy of their caretakers.

So sick.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't get some people. Animals are a dime a fucking dozen. Your kid is not. For fucks sake.

singlemomw2grls
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:10 PM

When I was little I was diagnosed with some pretty severe allergies. I have the highest allergy you can have to cats, but then also to dust. My mom gave me the choice of living with some discomfort (I kept Vaseline by my bed to get the crusties off my eyes in the am). I didn't take meds that often but my mom probably should have bought stock in Kleenex. I didn't have asthma though. Also, lots of newer studies are showing that being exposed to allergens can help allergies and growing up in a home with a pet helps the immune system. Allergy shots are just that, exposure. There are a lot of positives to growing up with pets, companionship, responsibility, unconditional love. . . I don't think this is a black or white question. For many, pets are family too. Obviously, something life threatening is a different story.

besosfantasies
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:13 PM

If he's allergic, there may be alternatives like proper grooming/cleaning. But if it ever got bad, I don't think I would make my child put up with his body rejecting my lovely pet. If the dog/cat was aggressive towards my child and I could not break them/train them, they'd have to go too. This is only if all my options have been exhausted, I'm not one to easily give up my four legged children.

singlemomw2grls
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:14 PM

PS There are lots of other allergy meds besides benadryl!! Lots of natural remedies too. And no, the side effects aren't all that bad!

aviatioNation
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I am allergic to dogs and there's a very fuzzy, very snuggly dog in my home. HEPA filters work wonders.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured