Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Would you get rid of an animal for a child? EDIT

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
If you had to choose between an animal and your kid which would you choose??

I cannot believe the responses to the other post. I get loving your animal, but if the child is allergic, the animal has to go. I dont care if its just her step kid that is allergic, it shouldnt even be a question.

Edit: Wow, I went to bed with 100 responses and woke up to 300 lol I didnt realize this would take off like this....

So new question...

For those of you that are fine with just medicating the kid, so you can keep your beloved pet, what if you were the BM in this situation. Would you be okay with Dad drugging your child, with several benedryl a day, everytime your kid goes for visitation?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Replies (831-840):
winlea78
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:57 PM
To each his/her own. Everyone has a different set of priorities I can tell. Having said that, let me share this tidpit.The word 'Parent' is derived from the Latin word for 'Guardian' or 'Protector' witch us,a person's main job after he/she desides to bring a child into the world and keep them. I personally know someone who's child has breathing problems/allergies and has done a couple hospital stints because of pneumonia because of said issues. This little girl lives in a home with 6 animals. The adults in the home have no intention of giving any of them up. Hey, like I said, to each his/her own. To me its in no way child abuse by any stretch of the imagination, however, depending on the sevarity of the breathing issues, it may not be in the childs best health intrest. Plus, an adult can decide if taking allergy medicine is right for them but a child (in taking 6 & under) doesn't really have that choice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elliotmommytobe
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:27 PM
If my ds was allergic then the pet would have to go my child comes first my dh is allergic but he doedntind
Midsummerdawn
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

It is better to re-home a pet with someone who is not allergic and can interact with them on a regular basis than to isolate that pet from the family for the sake of the allergic person and it's not cool to keep your kid drugged all the time.

HOWEVER

It is not fair to ask someone to give up their pet because someone comes to visit a few days a week, kid or not. A pet can be isolated for a few days or a few hours and the kid can be medicated for this period of time if it is necessary. If the child has a room at the house, it should be a pet-free area, of course. But to ask someone to give up their pet because a child visits periodically is simply not fair. 

jamiebell
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Well if i were the step parent i would get rid of the pet. I personally, and this is just me, couldntlive with myself. Im a huge animal lover but i would put the kid 1st. If i were the bm, i honestly dont know how i would feel. Id understand, i think, if they didnt get rid of the pet. Id imagine my kid is going to go to friends and family homes that have pets.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I personally got rid of my cats when we found out sd was allergic we First tried isolating them to just my room getting air purifiers and doing other things but sd was still having major problems so I gave them up I still cry about it and feel horrible but sd's health means more to me. Ironic thing now is at her mamas house they have cats that sleep in her bed so we have to keep her on constant allergy meds because of it. Sooo annoying but what she does at her house is none of my business and at least her eyes won't swell shut at my house
MyGirlsAbbyLiz
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM
No the way you worded your answer makes you an awful person.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok. I guess I should put the kids out on the street instead. Yeah, that's what I'll do!

I never said I'd put the dog out on the street or take her to a shelter. I would absolutely try to put her with someone I knew. Sorry if putting my kids first makes me a terrible person....

Quoting MyGirlsAbbyLiz:

You're an awful person

Quoting Anonymous:

Animals vs. people. Duh, people win, every time. I like my dog, but she'd be gone in a heartbeat if she ever hurt the kids or if they developed an allergy to her. It's just that simple for me....

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:08 PM
No where in my post did I say that I wanted to harm my dog in any way. Sorry if you gathered that from my reply. The question from the OP was, would you get rid if a pet if it adversely affected your kids' health. My answer was 'yes'. If you find that offensive, I'm truly sorry. I've been through more than you know with my kids and their health issues (some of them chronic). My children's health and well being is front and center...always. I really can't understand how putting that above anything else makes me "an awful person". One statement I make online does not define me as a person. You don't know me and I don't know you. I would never presume to know a great deal about a person based on one statement they make, online or otherwise. Seems like you have a lot of growing up to do, little girl....

Quoting MyGirlsAbbyLiz:

No the way you worded your answer makes you an awful person.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok. I guess I should put the kids out on the street instead. Yeah, that's what I'll do!

I never said I'd put the dog out on the street or take her to a shelter. I would absolutely try to put her with someone I knew. Sorry if putting my kids first makes me a terrible person....

Quoting MyGirlsAbbyLiz:

You're an awful person

Quoting Anonymous:

Animals vs. people. Duh, people win, every time. I like my dog, but she'd be gone in a heartbeat if she ever hurt the kids or if they developed an allergy to her. It's just that simple for me....

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:18 PM
Our collie whom was 9. Bit our daughter. Not bad but none the less he but her,before we had kids he was our kid. However, I would never forgive myself if she was scared for the rest of her life because I couldn't get rid of my dog. He had to go. I cried for weeks after left. He lived with our good friends, for 4 months before he got sick and passed away. As hard as it was it was necessary. My kids come first!
extentions
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Nothing can be compared to a kid,, never ,, not to by  any  NORMAL parent!!!!  When  a kid is ALLERGIC to any pet,,    THE PET  SHOULD  GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!¨,,,,no question about this,, ,,

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:32 PM

“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”
On the picture:: “You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him

Yes there are times when a pet must be re-homed, but some people are really callous about it.   Maybe bathing the pet more often, getting the pet groomed so theres less hair and there for less dandor on fur.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)