Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Would you get rid of an animal for a child? EDIT

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
If you had to choose between an animal and your kid which would you choose??

I cannot believe the responses to the other post. I get loving your animal, but if the child is allergic, the animal has to go. I dont care if its just her step kid that is allergic, it shouldnt even be a question.

Edit: Wow, I went to bed with 100 responses and woke up to 300 lol I didnt realize this would take off like this....

So new question...

For those of you that are fine with just medicating the kid, so you can keep your beloved pet, what if you were the BM in this situation. Would you be okay with Dad drugging your child, with several benedryl a day, everytime your kid goes for visitation?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Replies (841-850):
JennPearce
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:14 PM
I'm allergic to my cat but he stays. If my kids were allergic they'd just get medicine like me unless their allergies were severe.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 93 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes I noticed that. Lol

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Do you notice that it is the parents with children that are allergic to animals or who have allergies to them ourselves that are saying "work with it". 

Quoting Anonymous:

As a mother of a child who is allergic to both cats and dogs and who owns both. When we found out he was allergic I did not go home and get rid of our animals. Our animals are a part of our family. There is benadryl if the child is only around the animals twice a month. And there is the allergy shots to build the childs system up against the allergy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 130 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Are you kidding me? I mean I guess it depends on how serious the allergy is, but most pet allergies are horrible though. A lot are linked to Asthma. Drugs do not always help and many leave you feeling drowsy or with other side effects. Why would you want any child to experience that? Coming from personal experience I can tell you it's miserable. I'm not saying don't try to keep them, but if you have exhausted all other avenues, the pets have to go. They are animals, not people, & every child deserves to feel welcome in their home!

Quoting Bknotnobody:

This

Quoting MyGirlsAbbyLiz:

If the allergy can be treated with meds i see no reason to get rid of a pet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 130 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:44 AM
1 mom liked this
People are freakin CRAZY!!! If I found my kids were allergic to my pets, the pets would be gone!! You can say all you want about putting the pets in a different room, grooming more often, air purifiers, etc. If they are really allergic, none of that will help. I consider it a form of torture to subject kids to that on a daily basis ( or even part time for that matter!). And I don't believe drugging your kids is the answer either. Would you want to live that way? Drugs don't always help and there are side effects!! Please people if you can't make a basic sacrifice for your kids don't have any more! Pets are not people!!!
Jscott1216
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this
You're an idiot comparing pot to an allergy med. my husband is allergic to our dogs saliva and we still have our dog and in fact are getting another. I am allergic to his dander in the summer and again we still have him, we just take allergy meds for it. MOron!

Quoting Anonymous:

You can prevent this allergen without medication. That's not comparable to a pollen allergen.

Quoting Proud.mama.of2:

Seriously? Benadryl & pot are no where near the same thing. They're not drugging their kids, they're medicating them. If you're child was allergic to pollen would you keep them in a bubble rather than giving them allergy meds????? Some people are just ridiculous. Smh....

Quoting Anonymous:

I cannot believe how many people would drug their child. Wow! But if they caught them smoking pot they would freak.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ruhappytoseeme
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:16 AM

im allergic to cats, never was then one day got my kitty now 13 yrs old, he is the first cat im horribly allergic too, I wont give up my kitty, Im actually allergic to 27 different things, and I can either never leave my house, or wear a mask most of the year, but I decided to go to a allergist, found out all im allergic to, and we are doing these shots, they dont hurt, I have to give myself 2 shots one on left belly and other on right, 3 times a week, im 6 months in and its going well, it will go on for 2 years and I should not be allegic to these things any more. there are molds, trees, grasses, hay, cats, horses, among other stuff, 29 things, this doesnt include foods or medications. the older we get the more allergies we get, so once this is done Ill most likely be allergic to somehting else, but if its one or two things Ill just take meds but will get check in 10 years and if I have a long list again Ill do it again, its well worth giving up the allergy pills for :)

anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:20 AM
1 mom liked this
This post is nuts!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
xomrsweaver
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:31 AM

this isn't even a question for me. my kids come first no matter what.

belowzero
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:54 AM

I have horrible cat allergies, we tried having a cat once when I was a kid and my parents ended up giving it away. I'll never forget how miserable and sick I was all the time. I would never do that to my child. Drugging your kids all the time is not a solution, that's just disturbing.  If you MUST have a cat then look in to buying a Siberian. That's what we have now and I've had zero issues. They are hypoallergenic and have long beautiful fur. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 91 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:01 AM
Both are drugs and both are unnecessary. You are choosing to drug your family for a pet. Ridiculous.

Quoting Jscott1216:

You're an idiot comparing pot to an allergy med. my husband is allergic to our dogs saliva and we still have our dog and in fact are getting another. I am allergic to his dander in the summer and again we still have him, we just take allergy meds for it. MOron!

Quoting Anonymous:

You can prevent this allergen without medication. That's not comparable to a pollen allergen.

Quoting Proud.mama.of2:

Seriously? Benadryl & pot are no where near the same thing. They're not drugging their kids, they're medicating them. If you're child was allergic to pollen would you keep them in a bubble rather than giving them allergy meds????? Some people are just ridiculous. Smh....

Quoting Anonymous:

I cannot believe how many people would drug their child. Wow! But if they caught them smoking pot they would freak.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN