Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Since when did abuse become okay?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies

I'm in an abusive relationship and trying to find a way out, but I'm not here asking for help, I know what I need to do. I just want to know when abuse became okay? 

My sister watched my s/o knee me in my stomach when I was pregnant, choke me, slam me against a wall, and punch me in the face. She and her husband did nothing. Never said a word, even.

I'm talking to a friend of mine I've known since I was thirteen, and she's laughing and telling me she and her DH get physical all the time, but she knows how to fight and isn't scared of him.

Really?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Why did you let it happen? Why didn't you leave? I agree, they should have reacted, but why didn't you?

ElitestJen
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:23 PM
3 moms liked this

Abuse isn't ok.  You need to improve your peer circle.

Amanda2487
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Um NEVER!!! I hope you get out soon hun. And your friend is freaking crazy she needs help! And why haven't you pressed charges??
Mama2ETA
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Umm it's not. It's not okay. I think that the word abuse gets thrown around too easily, but from what you have said, it is definitely abusive! I cannot imagine seeing someone be abused and do nothing. I'm 5'2" and 130lbs, but you bet your bottom I'd be on top of them pouncing them off of you if I saw someone hurting an inferior person (size/ability).

audreesmama
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:25 PM

How shitty. It isn't acceptable, but if you are accepting it (which it sounds like you are, because you're still with him and you didnt' say you fought back), most of the time, others think that makes it acceptable. If you're okay with it, why shouldn't they be? I'm not saying the logic isn't flawed, but that's how a lot of people think.

mamacough
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Abuse is never ok. People who watch and do nothing are abusive as well. Please do what you have to and get out while you are still alive.

Mama2ETA
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Why did you let it happen? Why didn't you leave? I agree, they should have reacted, but why didn't you?

Blame the victim-----Great plan, NEVER. It is NOT her fault.

RLT2
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

You need new everything: friends, family, husband! Good luck to you, I hope you get out safely!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Oh but it is...according to everyone I know, and this Anon.

Quoting Mama2ETA:

Quoting Anonymous:

Blame the victim-----Great plan, NEVER. It is NOT her fault.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:27 PM

As for your friend, she's in a mutually abusive relationship. People in those relationships feel like it's normal because they are both behaving that way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)