Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Cat dillema. Update #1

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

DH is at the emergency vet.

DH: okay. So the vet says it is $100 just to be seen. She needs to sedate the cat and keep her overnight. It turns out it isn't just her hind area, her abdomen and ear have issues too. Just to be evaluated it will be $380. What should we do?

me: we can't afford that, but what choice do we have?

dh: we have to at least find out what is wrong. We have to try...

me: but what if it is too much to treat her and we have to put her down... then we paid all that money for nothing.

dh: I can't just put her down. I love her too much.

me: I know. But the kids and the bills have to be first priority.

dh: what do I do?

me: you can't just bring her home. She is probably in pain.

dh: the vet just walked in. What do I do?

me: I'll leave it up to you.

and I'm waiting...

Update: The vet called this morning. She said based on the blood work and her exam the cat has an ear infection, burst anal sac and pancreatitis. My DH thinks the treatment for these conditions was included in the $380 they discussed. It might be a little more. Kitty should come home on Monday. 

BTW. Her name is Magic Amelia.

She is at least 8 years old, but more likely 10. I found her frozen on my apartment steps when she was pregnant 8 years ago and took her in. She has been a good kitty, but we are very broke right now.

The other additional cost I will have is she now needs a low-fat kitty food. I am going to have the other cat eat it too, because they share a food bowl, and he is kind of chunky.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:24 AM

For the record... I also would have told DH I couldn't be the one to put her down if I had taken her...

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM

If you can't afford the treatment don't just put her down, try a rescue center and see if someone wants her that can afford it.

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM

aww, I am sorry, hope she will be ok

DollJMW
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:26 AM
How old and what kind of issues is the cat having?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Many vets offer payment plans, so you can pay off bills a little at a time. I think this is especially true for emergency vets, they get that not everyone has oodles of cash laying around. I hope your cat will be okay :(
LucyHarper
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:29 AM

I believe that when you adopt a pet, you are accepting full responsibility for it. You can't just have it killed because you can't afford its needs. I would either get the money together or bring the cat to a  no kill shelter, like the SPCA, where they can give it the medical help it needs.

mrsfred07
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:30 AM
Care credit. I saw an application for it when i was at the vet this week with my cat. Hope your kitty will be okay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Quoting DollJMW:

She is 9ish...took her in off the streets.

I noticed she had an odor and when I looked at her backside it was saturated in pus. The vet said this could be a rupture. At her age the vet said it could be due to kidney or liver failure.

DH left her with the vet we will know more tomorrow. Tonight if it is life threatening.

DollJMW
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:55 AM
Poor kitty. I'm sorry and I hope your kitty pulls through.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting DollJMW:

I noticed she had an odor and when I looked at her backside it was saturated in pus. The vet said this could be a rupture. At her age the vet said it could be due to kidney or liver failure.

DH left her with the vet we will know more tomorrow. Tonight if it is life threatening.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:58 AM

I hope so too. I just have to weigh the cost and the odds of her being okay long term. I love her and gave Her a good home, but we are struggling. 

I found her half frozen in the snow in front of my apt. 8 years ago.

Quoting DollJMW:

Poor kitty. I'm sorry and I hope your kitty pulls through.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting DollJMW:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN