Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Update on Amber (12 year old with brain cancer) in orange at the bottom.

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:53 AM
  • 792 Replies
40 moms liked this

Monday she will be 11, I do not know how to deal with this.  I feel like my world is crashing down around me today.  I sit here and look at pictures from when she was a baby and wonder "why", she is such a sweet, caring and smart kid who is so loved, why her?  I think about what I was doing 11 years ago at this time, I was getting ready to welcome her into the world and I swore I would do anything I had to to protect her and I have truly failed.  The cancer she has will most likely get the best of her within the next year.  I am not saying we are not going to do everything we can, but the Dr.'s do not have much hope for her.  I have no idea how to deal with this.  Right now if you saw her you would not know there was anything wrong with her, she even made the honor roll both marking periods this year, she is having a huge swimming party and is living everyday just like you or I would.  I just fear the future.  I just needed to vent for a minute.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the prayers and kind words.  I will update as soon as I get the results which will hopefully be on the 31st.  Anyone who would like to add the facebook page I made for her is welcome to.  I update on there frequently and post pictures. https://www.facebook.com/Prayforamber

EDIT:  There are a lot of people wondering what kind of cancer it is, I probably should have put that in the post.  She has brain cancer (grade 4 glioblastoma).  To clear up any confusion, she had the tumor removed on July 2nd, she went through 33 radiation treatments and will be on oral chemotherapy for 1 year providing that she tolerates it (so far she has tolerated it well).  There is only a 3% chance that it will NOT grow back the first year.  We are 6 months into this, I think that is why I am so scared.  Even if it does not grow back the first year we will have this worry for the rest of her life.  Again thank you for all the prayers and kind words.  I wanted to add that she had her birthday party yesterday and she had a blast!  She got a bunch of gift cards so we are going on a shopping spree one day this week, she is so excited! 

Got some great news today!  Her MRI came back excellent!  We need a few more like this and then we can relax a little bit.  This is something that we will always have to be concerned with but I will take any victory we get right now.  I think she is going to be in the very small percentage of people who survive this long term.  I am feeling very positive right now.

Wanted to give an update since it has been forever.  Today was 1 year since her surgery and she is doing excellent.  Her next MRI will be on July18th and she is not having any symptoms at all that would make me think it is going to come back bad.

Her scan came back clean :)  but she had to stop chemo due to an allergic reaction that she had last month, she only had one round left and the Dr did not seem to be worried about stopping it early.  She is not completely out of the woods but this is really great news considering they only gave her a year to a year and a half to live last year.  Thank you all for your prayers and support through all of this.

Newest update

I have not updated on here in a really long time, things are not going to great for Amber :( The tumor grew back in October, they removed it and tried a vaccine clinical study.  She had another MRI scheduled for Jan 2nd and they found that the tumor had grown back in the same spot so she had it removed again.  Jan 22nd (the day after her 12th birthday she had another one removed, they tried a different chemo pill which failed her and the tumor grew back again in Feb.  We have decided to stop treatment , the cancer is just too aggressive and is not going to stop growing.

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NanaMomo
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:55 AM
27 moms liked this
I am so sorry :(

Just spend every second with her and cherish it. Make happy memories.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:56 AM
1 mom liked this

That is what we have been doing and normally I feel very positive, it just hit me really hard tonight

Quoting NanaMomo:

eyeheartsin
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:57 AM
4 moms liked this
I'm so sorry mama :( sending hugs, strength and healing to you all
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gcstar42
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I am so sorry for what yall have to go through mama. I can't even imagine. Would you like some prayers said for you and your daughter?

Dinimon
by NoCookiesForYou on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:57 AM
I'm sorry. :(
I don't even know what to say...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
.Funfetti.
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:58 AM
33 moms liked this

Miracles happen everyday. Hold on to that hope tight, and give her the best birthday in the world. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:58 AM
So sorry. My thoughts are with you and your family. Please take care.
melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:58 AM
4 moms liked this

Please, she has an MRI coming up on the 31st, her last one came back clean.  The first year is when it has the most chance of growing back.....We need all the prayers we can get right now

Quoting gcstar42:

I am so sorry for what yall have to go through mama. I can't even imagine. Would you like some prayers said for you and your daughter?

markswife03
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sooo sorry! I really hope a miracle occurs!

There are so many cancer fighting/prevention fruits and vegetables out there. I wonder if it would help to fill her up with those? I know, I sound stupid, but just want to help in some way.
NanaMomo
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:59 AM
I'm sorry :(

I can't begin to imagine the pain you're feeling..

Just be her rock now mama

Quoting melakay1981:

That is what we have been doing and normally I feel very positive, it just hit me really hard tonight

Quoting NanaMomo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)