Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you have excellent grammar, please help me!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

I'm writing a short story and my first draft was reject for grammatical errors. I don't know when to use a comma or a different punctuation mark when two characters are speaking. This is from my story:

"Answer me," he commanded.

I cleared my throat and whispered to him "I understand."

"Is this how you are to address me?" He asked, his voice persistent.

"I understand, Sir." I tried to open my eyes. My vision was clouded with tears and as I moved to wipe my eyes, he released his grip but did not move his body from my personal space. I quickly wiped my tears and finally looked at him. 

After "Answer me", should there be a comma or a period, and why? How do I know which to use? Thank you! 

BTW the story is light BDSM erotica.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:48 AM
3 moms liked this

Honestly, you're probably better off purchasing yourself a English book or something to help you learn all the rules.

Cafemom and only help you so far.

Good luck!

CafeMom Tickers
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM
2 moms liked this

I cleared my throat and whispered to him, "I understand."

"I understand, Sir." I tried to open my eyes. My vision was clouded with tears and as I moved to wipe my eyes, he released his grip, but did not move his body from my personal space. I quickly wiped my tears and, finally, looked at him.

The blue is where I added commas and some sticklers would say it goes where the red is, also. Also, you should start a new line after "I understand, sir."

Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM
After I understand sir, the next sentence seems really long.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Thank you! Can you tell me how you know where to add commas or punctuation, or provide me with a link online? I feel like an idiot for not knowing! 

Quoting mem82:

"I understand, Sir." I tried to open my eyes. My vision was clouded with tears and as I moved to wipe my eyes, he released his grip, but did not move his body from my personal space. I quickly wiped my tears and, finally, looked at him.

The blue is where I added commas and some sticklers would say it goes where the red is, also. Also, you should start a new line after "I understand, sir."

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM
2 moms liked this
i blame fifty shades of grey for this. :(
Junesmommy18
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I ain't no good help 'round here. Srry. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:58 AM

You learned out?

Quoting Anonymous:

i don't know about her, but i learned out

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you! Can you tell me how you know where to add commas or punctuation, or provide me with a link online? I feel like an idiot for not knowing! 

Quoting mem82:

"I understand, Sir."
I tried to open my eyes. My vision was clouded with tears and as I
moved to wipe my eyes, he released his grip, but did not move his body
from my personal space. I quickly wiped my tears and, finally, looked at
him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM

"Answer me!" he commanded.

"I understand Sir." I tried to open my eyes, my vision was clouded with tears. As I moved to wipe my eyes, he released his grip but did not move his body from my personal space. I quickly wiped my tears and finally looked at him. 

You would IMO use an exclamation point since he commanded. You could use a period but you are supposed to end it with something. Commas create a pause, or separate two things. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Actually, I've been writing erotica for twelve years, professionally. This is what I do for a living. I'm a ghostwriter, and this is the first time I'm publishing under my own name. I do not have a proofreader yet. I would to send a more complete manuscript to the proofreader, so I would like to be able to correct my own grammar. As a ghostwriter, I have a proofreader who takes care of grammatical errors for me. 

Quoting Anonymous:

i blame fifty shades of grey for this. :(

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:00 PM

English is my thing, so grammar rules have always made sense to me. Here's a LINK that might help.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mem82:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)