Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

People must really not care about their kids safety these days.

Posted by   + Show Post
Now maybe I just started noticing it, but it seem recently people don't seem to give a rats ass about their kids safety. Every time I go to walmart I see at least one kid riding on the bottom rack or the front of the cart. I made the mistake of going to walmart right after most churches let out. It was filled with screaming kids and kids riding in the carts wrong. I saw one kid laying on the bottom rack and paddling like he was on a surf board. I just stared at her in amazement. She looked at me like I was the crazy one. Of course no workers were around to tell her not to let him do that. Those mother fuckers run from customers. When her kid gets his arm ripped off, I bet her ass will be the first person trying to sue. SMH, what happened to being safe.

EDIT: I see most of you are "that mom".
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Replies (21-30):
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't let my kids do that. If my kids want to come out shopping with me they can act proper or they can stay home.
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM
If someone mistakenly hits him, the can severely bruise or break his back or hips.

Quoting msalice_21:

Both my boys like to ride on the front too. Thats their favorite. I dont see any harm in it.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

I loved to hold on to the front of the cart as a kid. :( It was so fun to be pushed through the store. I think carts are weighted better now so kids don't trip the carts onto themselves.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM
4 moms liked this
Balanced in the front seat thing. They aren't meant to go up there. I was a nurse and I saw babies come in with bruises, broken arms, and trauma to the head bc the carseat fell from the cart or the whole cart tipped over.
No carseat is designed to sit there, even if it seems like it locks in.

Quoting Anonymous:

Propped up?

Quoting Anonymous:

I hate to see infant car seat propped up on the front of the cart. Poor babies :(

msalice_21
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

In the bottom of the cart, there is a rack. We call it 'the bottom rack'. It is big enough to sit on. My kids have done it many of times.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter rides on the bottom of the cart when we go grocery shopping. She sits on my reusable bags, keeps her legs crossed and her hands in her lap.  She also rides in the cart but she stays seated at all times. She isn't allowed to stand because it's dangerous. She's almost 6 and knows does what she is told. I used to ride on the bottom all the time as a kid. It was fun so I let my kids do it.The only thing I don't allow is hanging off the front or side of the cart.

She typically helps me shop but occasionally, she gets ice cream as a treat and since she's too big to sit in the front she has to sit somewhere and eat it because I'm not going to allow her to walk and eat her ice cream. She would be too consumed with the ice cream to watch where she is going and it wouldn't be fair to the other shoppers.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Ahhhh. Are they supposed to be in the basket then?

Quoting Anonymous:

Balanced in the front seat thing. They aren't meant to go up there. I was a nurse and I saw babies come in with bruises, broken arms, and trauma to the head bc the carseat fell from the cart or the whole cart tipped over.

No carseat is designed to sit there, even if it seems like it locks in.

Quoting Anonymous:

Propped up?

Quoting Anonymous:

I hate to see infant car seat propped up on the front of the cart. Poor babies :(

WithHope
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM
That always makes me cringe. People don't realize how unsafe it is. That's not bad parenting though, it's a lack of information!

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I let my son ride on the bottom at Target. I don't shop at walmart. Our Target has plastic (all plastic) carts and the bottom only has little holes. I make him keep his hands in and he has to say stop if he wants to get off.

Angelicembrace
by The Dorkfish on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this
That's been going on since my own mom was a kid lol, its nothing new
msalice_21
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM
4 moms liked this
you walk across the street, you can be hit by a car and die. You drive around in a car, a car can hit you and you can die. You walk down some stairs, you can trip and get bruised and *gasp* severly hurt yourself too. So you should sit in one place for the rest of your life.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)