Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

People must really not care about their kids safety these days.

Posted by   + Show Post
Now maybe I just started noticing it, but it seem recently people don't seem to give a rats ass about their kids safety. Every time I go to walmart I see at least one kid riding on the bottom rack or the front of the cart. I made the mistake of going to walmart right after most churches let out. It was filled with screaming kids and kids riding in the carts wrong. I saw one kid laying on the bottom rack and paddling like he was on a surf board. I just stared at her in amazement. She looked at me like I was the crazy one. Of course no workers were around to tell her not to let him do that. Those mother fuckers run from customers. When her kid gets his arm ripped off, I bet her ass will be the first person trying to sue. SMH, what happened to being safe.

EDIT: I see most of you are "that mom".
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Replies (251-257):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 47 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:20 AM
I'm with you on this!
melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:24 AM

That was me.  I had no idea how dangerous it was.  Thank god nothing ever happened.  If I ever had another baby I would not do it.

Quoting WithHope:

That always makes me cringe. People don't realize how unsafe it is. That's not bad parenting though, it's a lack of information!

Quoting Anonymous:

I hate to see infant car seat propped up on the front of the cart. Poor babies :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 27 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank u for standing up for me! Lol. My dh works 5 12 hour days a week, I work 3 12 hour days a week an we have 2 kids! It's insane sometimes. Wouldn't change it, but I can't do everything "perfectly". My grandparents like 4 blocks away from us, so when I can I drop ds off there and go where I need to go. But that's not always an option. He's MY son, so they shouldn't be responsible for him. He too is a "shiny" child. Lol. But it's more like... "Ooooooo super heros!!" Haha. And when it's just me with dd and ds, it's hard to catch him UNLESS he's riding on the side of the cart. And he is a big kid. 49 lbs and 47 inches tall. So those seats for multiple kids don't hold him. :(
He is 5. No broken bones, still alive and I did the CIO method, fed him nuts and eggs before 18 months, he had his own room at 3 months... I wonder how he is still alive!! Lol (that was sarcastic lol). I think I'll keep living how I do. :) I did a lot worse things as a child an I'm still here.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes. Occasionally he sees a toy or food item he wants and will walk away. I always catch him before he gets more than 2 feet from me, but he is FIVE not ten! He's in kindergarten for goodness sakes. He isn't a bad kid by any means, but he is 5 and gets distracted. 
I understand exactly what you're dealing with.  My youngest has always been what I call an "oh, shiney" type of kid.  He would try walking off and my husband or I would catch him before he got too far.  Usually.  He was tiny (still is) and would wiggle out of the child seat on occasion and try to climb out - once he even made it while I turned around to pick something up and climbed out.  Another time my husband quietly followed him as my son found this shiney thing and that shiney thing to look at... I went and bought a child leash while my husband followed him. 
Turns out, people don't like you using that method on our kid either.  But you know what?  The kid got the message; he was embarrassed by having to wear that, even at 5 years old.  And I made him wear it for a few months every time we went out.  
Even now, at 9, he's an 'oh, shiney" kid.  He's literally done the "SQUIRREL!" thing while in the middle of a sentence.  He isn't a bad kid, never has been ,just like I doubt yours are.. we all don't have the luxury of having a perfect child like so many of the moms on CM do.  It gets easier, I promise.  I'd rather have a not so perfect child anyway, just as I'm sure you would (the way your 5 year old is and the way my 9 year old is (and was) keeps things interesting for sure...
I will also add that I'm all about natural consequences.  My daughter? Pretty tame.  My son, on the other hand, we used to take bets on which bone he'd break first as a joke.  He can trip over his own shadow, I have found him on the roof more than once because he shimmied up the awning pole, he once jumped off of it onto the trampoline after being told not to do it just to see what would happen (nope, didn't get punished, my husband just took care of it by asking him if he was done and planning on doing that again in the voice my kids know means do it again, I dare you)... he's done so many stupid things and I just got tired of telling him to stop that I let him figure things out for himself.  And the one major injury he got was not from his own stupid antics... he was pushed from the top of playground equipment (about 5-6 feet in the air) by a bully... 
SInce he's lived this long, and my daughter even longer with my method, I'll keep raising my kids my way and I'll let other moms do the same.  I know I'm judged for how I raise them, I just don't care.  Just as I'm sure other moms are judged for how they raise their kids... but only a few special ones actually voice their opinions on the matter as if their opinions matter.  

msharleyjr
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:54 PM
I spoke with salary on several occasions...their reply?..” We cannot afford to offend our customers by telling them how to handle their own children!!!” What the hell!!! I told them if another nearly ran me over I would call every newstation I could think of to let them know Wal-Mart was all about the dollar. That they didnt give a hoot about the kids. While I was employed for salary many years ago we ,as a team ,rewarded good behaviour . Little prizes and discounts and such... Now it seems the screaming child gets the attention. They would think different if they had to pay for accidents. (Which BTW I've seen quite a few involving children riding on the underneath side of the basket. ) The parents that do care ,care very much, the ones that dont,never should have been allowed to even practice having children let alone have them!!! Unfortunately we have far too many parents that simply turn their children loose in the stores believing nothing will happen to them nor will they do anything wrong. Sometimes, ignorance isn't so bliss.
jamiebell
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Where do you guys shop at?!? In my 31 years i have never seen a shopping cart flip! Id be scared to shop at places where this is happening.

Quoting Randi02:

I watched a 3 month old being loaded into an ambulance two years ago next month. The cart flipped, the seat fell out and he was unconscious. Both of the parents were sobbing, and it was awful. I don't know if the baby ended up being ok, but it made me glad that I have not put my kids in a cart.

My youngest is almost 2.5, and she walks beside the cart. They know how to behave in public. I am having my 4th baby on Friday, and I will wear her in a wrap while the others walk, just like we have always done.

Besides, it beats a screaming baby in a car seat! I love that my babies napped, and I could nurse them while shopping.

Quoting pitbull4me:

lol!my now 3yro, didn't like any of that stuff and at 3 he is safer in my cart than walking.so for me it is necessary.not sure how being seated in the cart is dangerous.it has always been safer and faster for my children and for all of my friends!

Quoting Randi011112:

Seriously? lol
Have them walk? Use a wrap/sling etc. Putting them in a shopping cart isn't necessary.

Quoting pitbull4me:

so, what do we do with our kids while we shop?

Quoting Randi02:

I agree.

Another one is car seats on/in the cart :(
I use carts for groceries, not to put a child in!

LeahJ
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:10 PM
I would let mine sit in the buggy part, but the rule was, they had to sit on their bottom at all times. If they got up, even the tiniest bit, they had to get out. I cannot stand seeing kids hanging on carts or, worse yet, standing in them. Might as well just whack them over the head and give them a concussion for fun. smh.
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM
This happened at Safeway. That was the first time I had ever seen anything like it.

Quoting jamiebell:

Where do you guys shop at?!? In my 31 years i have never seen a shopping cart flip! Id be scared to shop at places where this is happening.

Quoting Randi02:

I watched a 3 month old being loaded into an ambulance two years ago next month. The cart flipped, the seat fell out and he was unconscious. Both of the parents were sobbing, and it was awful. I don't know if the baby ended up being ok, but it made me glad that I have not put my kids in a cart.

My youngest is almost 2.5, and she walks beside the cart. They know how to behave in public. I am having my 4th baby on Friday, and I will wear her in a wrap while the others walk, just like we have always done.

Besides, it beats a screaming baby in a car seat! I love that my babies napped, and I could nurse them while shopping.

Quoting pitbull4me:

lol!my now 3yro, didn't like any of that stuff and at 3 he is safer in my cart than walking.so for me it is necessary.not sure how being seated in the cart is dangerous.it has always been safer and faster for my children and for all of my friends!

Quoting Randi011112:

Seriously? lol
Have them walk? Use a wrap/sling etc. Putting them in a shopping cart isn't necessary.

Quoting pitbull4me:

so, what do we do with our kids while we shop?

Quoting Randi02:

I agree.

Another one is car seats on/in the cart :(
I use carts for groceries, not to put a child in!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN