Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

People must really not care about their kids safety these days.

Posted by   + Show Post
Now maybe I just started noticing it, but it seem recently people don't seem to give a rats ass about their kids safety. Every time I go to walmart I see at least one kid riding on the bottom rack or the front of the cart. I made the mistake of going to walmart right after most churches let out. It was filled with screaming kids and kids riding in the carts wrong. I saw one kid laying on the bottom rack and paddling like he was on a surf board. I just stared at her in amazement. She looked at me like I was the crazy one. Of course no workers were around to tell her not to let him do that. Those mother fuckers run from customers. When her kid gets his arm ripped off, I bet her ass will be the first person trying to sue. SMH, what happened to being safe.

EDIT: I see most of you are "that mom".
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Replies (31-40):
Kmary
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM
2 moms liked this

If you think parents care LESS about safety these days than generations prior, you are honestly as ignorant as they come.  If anything, we are overly concerned about miniscule or non-existent dangers to the point of turning our children into neurotic, dependent, bullying victims because they can't handle the slightest problem, injury, anything on their own. 

I have never, in my life, seen a child ride on the bottom rack of a cart.  I'd imagine it'd be easy to get your fingers rolled over (in which case that child would learn though natural consequences why that's a bad idea), but I fail to see how one would lose an arm...a bit melodramatic, are we?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm waaaay too lazy to allow my kid to ride in the shopping incorrectly. The last thing I want to do is spend the afternoon in the ER or have to nurse an injured child. F that!
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Really? My sister and I and just about every other kid I knew rode that way. Yes, I let my son ride on the bottom of the grocery cart. 

Arm ripped off from riding on the bottom of a shopping car that is being pushed by his mom?? Over-dramatic much?? What? Do you wrap your kid in bubble wrap before going out the door? Everything in your house covered in bubble wrap as well?? 

I am simply amazed at the number of parents (mothers mostly) who have their childhoods erased from their memories when they become kids. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Well said. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Lmfao

Yes the opinion of a person who feels sorry for child molesters, and talks about their ass worms is really really valuable to me. Not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM

My almost 7 year old likes to ride in the large part of the basket........I highly doubt he would fit in the child seat part of it.  I see nothing wrong with a child sitting in the large part. It is called teaching them to sit down. Even the 2 year old I watch knows to stay sitting.

Bauxite-17
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Right because, a cart is really going to rip their arm off. ....Not your kid, not your problem. leave it alone.

notjstasocermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

amen to that.

Quoting Kmary:

If you think parents care LESS about safety these days than generations prior, you are honestly as ignorant as they come.  If anything, we are overly concerned about miniscule or non-existent dangers to the point of turning our children into neurotic, dependent, bullying victims because they can't handle the slightest problem, injury, anything on their own. 

I have never, in my life, seen a child ride on the bottom rack of a cart.  I'd imagine it'd be easy to get your fingers rolled over (in which case that child would learn though natural consequences why that's a bad idea), but I fail to see how one would lose an arm...a bit melodramatic, are we?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM

omg you are way over exaggerating as usual...by the way dont tell me you never rode in the  bottom of a shopping cart as a kid id bet 90 % of us have and my parents too . 

tapies2324
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM
One of my fondest memories of childhood is riding on the bottom of the cart while my dad pushed. Of course i let my skids do it. It's fun and they keep their hands away from the wheels.

Quoting Mistweave:

I rode on the bottom of the cart when I was little sometimes too...I also was smart enough to keep my hands away from the wheels.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM
The cart can easily flip over on top of them, pinning them under the cart and showering them with the contents. I have witnessed a child lying unconscious on the floor bleeding copiously from a head wound after his mother let him climb on the front of the cart. It's all fun and games until someone winds up brain damaged or dead.

Quoting msalice_21:

Both my boys like to ride on the front too. Thats their favorite. I dont see any harm in it.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

I loved to hold on to the front of the cart as a kid. :( It was so fun to be pushed through the store. I think carts are weighted better now so kids don't trip the carts onto themselves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)