Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why does s.i.l. make such bizarre threats to her kids? ETA.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

My s.i.l. has this habit of making really weird threats at her kids to get them to behave. Things there is NO way she's going to back up and she knows it, and eventually they're going to know it too. Her oldest, (4 yo) already has caught on to it. She'll say things to one nephew like, "If you don't put your shoes on right now I'm going to put you on the porch and the squirrels are going to bite off all your toes!" Or to the other nephew, "If you don't come here right now I'm going to turn on the Roomba and let it suck you up!" The one nephew is terribly afraid of the Roomba, btw.

She makes these kinds of odd off the wall threats all the time. Wtf is up with that?! I've always made a point not to bluff at my kids. I don't make a threat I'm not willing to back up, because you never know when  they'll call you on it, then you have no credibility anymore. Plus, some of the things she says are just cruel, because it really scares them.

Since most people are saying about the same thing I'll reply to it here instead of replies. I get what you are saying about it being a light hearted jokey thing, but that's just it, she's not joking, she wants them to think she means it. She's trying to scare them into complying. Why not just make a threat she can actually follow through on? Why not say, "...I'm going to spank your butt!" or, "I'm going to put you in time out."?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilliesValley
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Well like you said it's going to back fire on her. I don't want my kid to behave because they're scared I want them to behave because if you do there are good consequences and if you don't there are bad consequences. Bottom line, her kids her problem.

BabyGsMommy11
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Personally, I believe every family has their way of communicating. I say crazy stuff to my niece and nephew all the time and they think it's hilarious, lightens the mood, and they get things done faster. They are 10 and 12.

My son is 16 months old and doesn't quite understand complex commands yet, but I'd never tell him to put his shoes on or the squirrels will eat his toes off.....until he was at least 7 or 8. Then - based on the humor that runs through our house - my kid will probably follow up with "Squirrels are nut-atarians mom!" and laugh his toosh off.

If the kids react negatively, obviously the woman needs to stop!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Lmao I can't help it. It's so stupid that its funny
mhaney03
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I do that too LOL.  But my kids know I'm not serious.. like when my middle child went through the naked phase.. i told him that a gremlin was gonna snatch off his man bits if he didn't cover them up.  he'd laugh and run away.  I would never say something that would seriously scare them unless I meant it.

ElitestJen
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:11 PM

LOL! 

People think I communicate with my children in weird ways.  For example, they were wrestling/fighting the other day.  Rather than intervene, I told them whoever loses has to pay the ER co-pay.   My daughter was sick all last week with a stomach bug.  On Friday, I decided to make a new rule: No puking or you're grounded. 

They laugh, it gets my point across, and we move on. 

sirinme94
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Eh my family used to say things like that to kids all the time.  generally its used as light hearted amusement.  not so much as a threat..e.g if we were sticking out our tongue at someone, an adult would tell us a bird was going to come snip it off.

tezell78
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Lol I used to tell dd that I was going to sell her to the gypsies for 25 cents and a peanut.
Ds was acting up at the doctors one day and I told him he was working on becoming a statistic.
Some parents find it easier in some situations to parent using humor. Some of the things I say to ds would send some of these women into fits. Do I mean them? No but they get my point across, and keep the mood light.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:35 PM

BUMP!

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:36 PM
I tell ds I am going to sell him to the gypsies all the time :-)

Quoting tezell78:

Lol I used to tell dd that I was going to sell her to the gypsies for 25 cents and a peanut.

Ds was acting up at the doctors one day and I told him he was working on becoming a statistic.

Some parents find it easier in some situations to parent using humor. Some of the things I say to ds would send some of these women into fits. Do I mean them? No but they get my point across, and keep the mood light.
Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:38 PM
My friend would say if you don't hurry up and get your jacket on I'm gonna break your arm to her kids O.o
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)