Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Labor support

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:34 PM
  • 10 Replies

I want to try and go all natural. i dont want an epidural or any iv meds. its the one thing that i'm very adiment(sorry i know thats spelled wrong) about. but when i tell ANYONE if they ask or if it comes up, they laugh at me. MIL told me she is going to follow me to the hospital and when i start screaming for meds shes going to make fun of me and tell me tough shit and DH and my mom just laugh at me :( . i really want this but im afraid with no support that im not going to be able to. how do i get them to stop shoving down my plan? anyone else have or ever had this problem?

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annasew
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:37 PM

dont let them in the room if they dont plan on being supportive.  

poeticrose09
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Here's a bump for you. I dont have that kind of negativity though they constantly try and push how I should try and raise my child or feed him but never that kind of negativiity. If you have all of that around you just tell them to get the hell out and ask for your labor nurse to support you or something. I would rather do it on my own then have them there but that's just me

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:37 PM
I had my 3rd all natural because he came so fast. I honestly don't know how women do it for hours on end...

You need to talk to your DH because you need a strong supporter - then tell everyone they won't be allowed into the room until after baby comes.
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Find a doula...thay are supportive...or even a good friend who will support and help you. Keep anyone being assholes out.

cjsix
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Tell your husband to do some reading about interventions and how one can and usually does lead to another and another ending in csection. Tell both mothers they are not allowed at the hospital as they can not be supportive and let the hospital know you don't want them to know if you are there or alllow them near your room. Better yet find a midwife who is supportive and will do a home birth and stay home. If that is not an option see if you can find a friend who understands how you feel and will be your labor and support person.

ilovemykids323
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM

just dont tell them your plans and dont call your MIL until after the baby is born plain and simple.

Jblaac57
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:45 PM

i did tell dh that if he didnt stop making fun of me that i would not allow him in the room either and id rather do it alone than have someone putting me down the whole time. he just doesnt say anything about it anymore

Quoting poeticrose09:

Here's a bump for you. I dont have that kind of negativity though they constantly try and push how I should try and raise my child or feed him but never that kind of negativiity. If you have all of that around you just tell them to get the hell out and ask for your labor nurse to support you or something. I would rather do it on my own then have them there but that's just me

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM

YES! I have faced this! I hired a doula my second time around and life was SOOO much better!!!! : ) I would also be clear with EVERYONE that if they have nothing nice to say, I will have the hospital forceable remove them from my room and will NOT let them back in! INCLUDING my husband! I was VERY clear with him my second birth that if he could no be supportive and sided with the intervention-heavy doctor after doing NO research, that I would have him wait in the waiting area and that I would have the nurse go get him when I start pushing! Doulas do not have to be expense, some work for free for the experience. Some will barter for services (babysitting, gardening, mechanic work, if you or SO are so inclined). A doula drastically reduces your need for meds, your c-section rate, the use of forceps/vacuum, PPD, and increases the success rate for nursing! 

MORE INFO

Jblaac57
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

thank you for your reply!! i told dh the same thing except i told him i wouldnt let him in AT ALL if he didnt stop. he pretty much doesnt say anything at all about it anymore. i am going to read the info you put on here now, thank you again!!

Quoting louzannalady:

YES! I have faced this! I hired a doula my second time around and life was SOOO much better!!!! : ) I would also be clear with EVERYONE that if they have nothing nice to say, I will have the hospital forceable remove them from my room and will NOT let them back in! INCLUDING my husband! I was VERY clear with him my second birth that if he could no be supportive and sided with the intervention-heavy doctor after doing NO research, that I would have him wait in the waiting area and that I would have the nurse go get him when I start pushing! Doulas do not have to be expense, some work for free for the experience. Some will barter for services (babysitting, gardening, mechanic work, if you or SO are so inclined). A doula drastically reduces your need for meds, your c-section rate, the use of forceps/vacuum, PPD, and increases the success rate for nursing! 

MORE INFO

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I took the lamaze classes to help get thru the labor and the only medication I would have been given was a local numbing agent if I needed to be cut to let her come out. I was dialated to like a 7 or 8 but the contraction even being pushing strong were not close enough together to continue the dialation so they began an iv & gave me the potosin. An hour later she was on her way and I had no more meds. There was even a waiting line for the delivery rooms and she almost came in the hallway. They got me into the delivery room and the dr came in just in time to catch her and finish the birthing process before having to go to the next room and do the samething. So my first one came as natural as possible.  #2 I had problems and had medication (boy)  #3 I never made it to the delivery room and got no medication even tho they started an iv because I'd had some early pregnancy problems (girl). So I guess I had 2 natural and 1 with medication. My girls came so quickly that I couldn't really ask for anything. Don't know if I would've done natural voluntarily tho.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured