Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do Liars Like Lance Armstrong & Manti T'eo Deserve Our Forgiveness?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM
  • 114 Replies

Liars Like Lance Armstrong & Manti T'eo Deserve Our Forgiveness

Posted by Maressa Brown on January 19, 2013

lance armstrong and oprahEvery minute it seems, we're finding out another prominent person in the news lied (or cheated) in some way, shape, or form. Manti T'eo and Lance Armstrong just happen to be the two most recent ... And every time it happens, it seems like our general reaction is basically the same: "How could he?!" We're shocked, dismayed, and swiftly ready to write the person off as a bad egg forever. But maybe it shouldn't necessarily be that way. Maybe we're being too quick to judge.

See, while watching the Lance Armstrong-Oprah interview yesterday, I kept thinking that while he was totally coming off like a schumuck who reeeeally screwed up and tarnished his squeaky-clean, do-gooder rep, I could also understand why he did what he did.

I wouldn't go so far as to say as I feel sympathy for the guy, but it just seemed like he lied for many reasons ... One of them is because he was so immersed in a culture of deceit. He kept using the word "generation" to explain to Oprah how he wasn't alone. Not in a cowardly, finger-pointing way, but in a way that makes you take a step back and realize he wasn't alone in deceiving us all. Doping was a generally accepted trend in his world. What riders did (and lied about) to be successful. And once he figured he could get away with it, and everyone else was getting away with it, he just kept "riding out" the lie ... for better or worse.

Similarly, we don't know all the exact details behind the Manti T'eo mess, but it seems like the guy lied because he got swept up in the fable. Couldn't face the consequence of the truth coming out. (Not that that fear prevented it from happening!)

And really, who hasn't been in a situation like that? Even if it was a little white lie you told once, we've all been scared silly to admit the truth at one time or another ... So how can we judge these guys so harshly for doing the same very human thing -- that happened to unfold in front of cameras and entire country?

The way I see it -- it boils down to them just being flawed in a regretable but deeply human way. So the humane thing to do is to consider forgiveness.

How do you feel about Lance and Manti's lies? Do you think you could "forgive" either man?

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:43 PM
5 moms liked this

Everyone deserves forgiveness if they are sincerely sorry for what they've done.

tifbrown
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:44 PM
7 moms liked this

Armstrong pisses me off. He ruined peoples lives. And, now that he has come clean we are supposed to see him as a hero? Ya fucking right. Manti, I haven't heard the latest update on, I'll check out tmz after this, but I feel bad for him. If he really didn't know all along, then I do feel bad. He got duped and when he found out was embarrassed and didn't know what to do. Whoever is behind that is a sick individual to go that far and that deep with it.

vixen42
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Lance Armstrong lied over a period of years and was a hero to lots of people and he received millions of dollars in sponsorships so He is really over the top in my book as for the other guy well we all had a imaginary friend at some time in our life and he looks like a weirdo for this story.

taramac
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:53 PM
6 moms liked this
I don't really think you can compare the two. Lance Armstrong cheated in his sport and his whole career was a lie; he only came forward because he felt bad that his son was defending him but in the process he ruined many lives.

Manti Te'o is a dumb kid who got caught up in an online romance and was embarrassed to come forward when he thought he might have been duped. Really the only person's reputation that was ruined in this whole mess was Manti's. I could easily forgive him because he feels remorse and shame for the whole situation whereas Lance does not.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wodntulk2kno1
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM
You can't compare them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrimsonRose01
by ~Cassandra~ on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:59 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree with this. Although, I don't care about celebrities enough to to care that they lied in the first place.

Quoting taramac:

I don't really think you can compare the two. Lance Armstrong cheated in his sport and his whole career was a lie; he only came forward because he felt bad that his son was defending him but in the process he ruined many lives.

Manti Te'o is a dumb kid who got caught up in an online romance and was embarrassed to come forward when he thought he might have been duped. Really the only person's reputation that was ruined in this whole mess was Manti's. I could easily forgive him because he feels remorse and shame for the whole situation whereas Lance does not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:01 PM
I have not followed this at all. But why the hell would he admit it
KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I really only paid attention to Lances cancer battle and his livestrong charity, my husband had the same cancer so we felt we could relate in that way. And his livestrong charity really does a lot for others . Now I'm just sad bc this really taints the charity in a way you know. The college play I havent followed the story at all to really understand what happend and cant really form an oppinion on that

BE BOLD check your husbands balls, early detection is the key to saving a life 

NEED TO KNOW FACTS: TESTICULAR CANCER
✔ One man is diagnosed every hour
✔ One man dies everyday
✔ Can strike at any age, however, most common in the 15-35 age range
✔ Number one killing cancer of young men
✔ MOST CURABLE CANCER, When Caught Early!

sampson200
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Neither of them are anything to me or my life, so I don't think 'my forgiveness' holds anything.

They need to ask forgiveness of those they have hurt or burdened by their lying.

But me, personally? I don't give a ****, actually.

Cheribomb
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:05 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't see how they are related?  i feel bad for  that kid who was duped by his so called friends.  Lance armstrong is a manipulative bully & should go to jail!  marion jones went to jail for doing the same thing!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)